internal dampening materials

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey, i'm just wondering what i should use for internal dampening material in my upcoming project. I would like to line the cabinets with bitumen from my local carpart dealer but it damn expensive (something like 25 euros for 4 sheets sized 25x50cm maybe), and i want to use what little money i've got on better crossoverparts etc.. So what i was wondering was if i could use lead sheets (I can maybe get some for free) and then put some kind of thick felt og perhaps compressed rockwool on that? Perhaps some other ideas...? :D

Free lead?

If you have a source of free lead you should likely pursue it. So long as its not toxic or anything.

Every time I’ve investigated using lead for room construction, I’ve found that there were other materials to get me the same end results for much less money.

I think the appealing thing about using it in speaker construction would be its high density with minimum volume. Using a viscous, non hardening cement to attach it to the inside of the box would be a plus, and some dampening layer on top of it will also be necessary.

Always use the free stuff. Especialy when its good free stuff.

Kongen said:
.. So what i was wondering was if i could use lead sheets (I can maybe get some for free) and then put some kind of thick felt og perhaps compressed rockwool on that? Perhaps some other ideas...? :D

Dansk
Det er da OK at bruge bly, men jeg ville nu gå efter afstivning og tykke vægge i kabinettet (MDF) og så ville jeg kigge på fåreuld - fås i visse byggemarkeder i DK - uld har gode lydmæssige egenskaber)

translation
You can use lead, but I would prefer thick walls and suspension in the box (MDF), and for damping - try genuine sheep-wool - you may find it in some stores for building-material (at least in DK) - and has good acoustic qualities.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.