What in the blazers am I doing wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So tonight I have just been plugging random drivers into the Speaker box designer spreadsheet thingy I found, and well how can this be asking for a 2.5 meter port on recommended?

thumbnail_Screen%20Shot%202017-01-16%20at%2010.43.34%20pm.jpg_zpswxwele93.png

For this Driver

Surly I have cocked this up somewhere and have had too much wine to see it?

Last edited:
While it won't change your results much, you have entered 6.5 instead of 5.9 as Re, and you have a 0.3 ohm series resistor.

The minimum port diameter is a suggested minimum to keep the port from making unmusical noises - rushing air / chuffing noises. A 4" port gives the usual 17m/s figure at 105dB output. Even a 3" diameter port needs to be nearly a meter long. This small box volume needs a Passive Radiator.

To tune a small box to a low frequency needs a very long vent. Just to play with numbers, change your box volume to 60 (or 600) liters and see what happens to port length...

Not really. Chances are, with a port approaching metres long, that you're going to introduce pipe resonances in or just outside of the intended bandwidth. That's gonna put some ugly peaks/dips and general weirdness at the top end of the useful range of the device. Makes it much harder to integrate with whatever's covering the rest of the range.

PRs are good here, or you could fire up Hornresp and morph it into a a transmission line. At the very least, the resonances will show up.

Chris

A 19 liter box with a resonance of 29 Hz is never going to be practical. The port will be bigger than the box.

I have made band pass designs with very low tuning and ports big enough to not restrict the output and they were some 2 meters long made from three 4" PVC tubes. And even this was not tuned as low as 29 Hz.

Chances are, with a port approaching metres long, that you're going to introduce pipe resonances in or just outside of the intended bandwidth. That's gonna put some ugly peaks/dips and general weirdness at the top end of the useful range of the device. Makes it much harder to integrate with whatever's covering the rest of the range.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.