Troels Gravesen ATS-4!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's my latest build for speakers

This is a project I did with my friend Royber, we each build a pair of these very nice speakers. A little over 300 hours of work went into the build and every minutes are worth it.

Here's a link to the forum that has our build, it is in French but here's the Google translated link

Original link :
Troels Gravesen ATS-4!

English translated link :
https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.quebecdiy.net/t855-troels-gravesen-ats-4&prev=search

Let me know what you think

Ciao!
Do

Those look super sweet! How long did it take? Impressions? Nice work, looks very clean and great colour choice!

My friend and I built two identical pairs and it took over 300 hours but we included a mechanism for tilting the mid and tweeter top part which can be seen on the pictures and many aluminum parts like the customized aluminum plates for the binding posts. It was a tough but fun build.

First, the soundstage is amazing, very spacial, wide and deep. I've listened to a lot of live music instruments and concerts and the reproduction is quite on the spot, tone is precise and instrument placement is very well rendered with right proportions. Those Audio Technology drivers are quite impressive, especially the mid driver does a marvelous job at reproducing vocals and parts of the violin and cello, the bass section can go really low (I was playing test files and was hearing the bass below 20Hz!).

When we invest so much money in a build and not ever heard the final product, it is always a big stress and I told myself I was going to be honest with me and say I don't like them if it was the case but they turn out to be the best speakers I've owned and very high up in the list of speakers I've listened to in my life (commercial stuff I could never afford, say Wilson Audio, Focal). My room is about 12' x 26' so it gave my enough breathing space and I also placed the speakers 2' away from the back wall.

I'm also looking to try very high efficiency speakers one day.

Enjoying musing like never before!

Ciao!
Do

Wow! It's about time I answer this thread. For some reason I got myself unregistered! :sorry:

EXCELLENT !

Very ingenious system to tilt the drivers to the ideal listening position....

Happy Auditions ;)

EXCELLENT!

Pilotes système très ingénieux pour incliner la position d'écoute idéale.

Auditions heureux :)

Hi academia50,

Thanks for the compliment! It works really nicely, was well worth the time investment.

Wow, you are correct in that is really an investment of time for something you've never heard. Glad it worked out. Sounds like the audio technology drivers are worth the expense!

They are definitely worth every pennies. Troels now has the ATS4-HE which are also very interesting... :rolleyes:

Very good execution. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks!

Do,

Happy New Year!

Very well done, beautiful speakers. Hope you've been enjoying music big time over the holidays. :)

Well... I guess I was very late to answer you! LOL

Very well done. The white is perfect.

Thanks! Reminds me of a Star Trooper!

Are those red speakers Troel's Jensen Accuton Diamond speakers? If so how do they compare to the ATS-4?

They're the Ellam Flex 3W. They also sound really good!

Wow!!!
Tres Bon!!!

Merci!

Amazing tablesaw skills.

My friend Bertrand who worked with me is also really good. I can never thank him enough for working with me on this project.

pinnocchio - how do you compare the sound of ATS-4 vs Ellam Flex 3w? I'm assuming the ATS-4 is better but how big is the difference? thanks.

This is a tough question... Two different philosophies... One is a TL and the other is Ported + sealed bass driver... I do prefer the overall sound of the ATS-4 but listening to string instruments like Cello is really good on a TL. It is a question of taste after all. I find the ATS-4 has a more balanced bass, precise and fast. The Ellam is a little bit lacking on the bass side.

Do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.