2017 POLL: classic Passive or Active/DSP/EQ ?

On my main speakers...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
+1 on the cost of developing a passive Xover. and the development time!: just yesterday I spent a day messing with a 3 way OB by the active approach (miniDSP after modeling in Jeff B's PCD which has an active filter section) and I got a workable result by the evening.

on the other hand I associate the passive crossover with a desire to use a single amp rather than multi amp. this is where the big question of the amp(s) availability, quality, overall size, complexity and cost comes into play. I already know that matching amp to a speaker (after matching speaker type and location with a room) makes a difference, probably even more so with the passive crossovers.

going multi-amped active is the ultimate playing ground :D. for somebody who is just an end user keeping the complexity down may be a prevailing criterion though.

the poll is missing my answer choice: I practice everything in the quest for the holy grail of sound :) (not that there will be one ever but the fun is in the journey)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.