using 14 gauge inductor unrolled for speaker wire under carpet??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good idea?

Bad idea?

seems like it makes a certain amount of sense to just unroll a copper 14 gauge inductor and use flat under the carpet.

is it too delicate?

anybody got a good idea of how they calculate the length?

Or would it be more cost effective to use some off the shelf product.

Most of the flat wiring is somewhat expensive, this seemed like it might be an inexpensive alternative.

Any input appreciated

Thanks

Ken L

The computer cable is also a good idea although it may make a little bulge in the carpet. Dont worry about the insulation wearing off - just use some duct tape where and if the foil needs to cross.

You might be able to find some heavy copper foil at a metals supplier. Recently a friend bought a 3" x 16' thin copper strip at such a place.

Mark,

I think Ken is asking if one of those flat conductor aircore inductors that are used in crossovers can be unraveled and used as speaker cable. He would like to take advantage of the flat conductor to run underneath a carpet. It may work but the insulation on the flat conductor used in those chokes is very thin. I think at a $1.50/foot, 14 awg and .006 thiness, the DeCORP high performance FLT series may be a better choice. The url is http://www.decorp.com/news/archived/onsale.html

Beware.
Home owners insurance policy may have a clause in wording about non ULR aprroved wire install in the walls ect.

I would use In wall wire or a Flat wire that is ULR approved.
Just to cover you A$$.
If you are not concered about it use what you can get that will go the flatest.
Flat wire found at FuterShop,Circut city,PE will do just fine

Al

kilowattski said:
I think Ken is asking if one of those flat conductor aircore inductors that are used in crossovers can be unraveled and used as speaker cable.

Hmm, that makes sense. Have used this as an experiment, but not under the carpet. Most of these coils use bare non-isolated copper strip, at least the ones I have disassembled ;) I glued the copper strips side by side with double sided adhesive tape from 3M between two cut strips of 0.2 mm mylar. Total thickness was app. 0.7 mm.

Cheers ;)

kilowattski said:
Mark,

I think Ken is asking if one of those flat conductor aircore inductors that are used in crossovers can be unraveled and used as speaker cable. He would like to take advantage of the flat conductor to run underneath a carpet. It may work but the insulation on the flat conductor used in those chokes is very thin. I think at a $1.50/foot, 14 awg and .006 thiness, the DeCORP high performance FLT series may be a better choice. The url is http://www.decorp.com/news/archived/onsale.html
That makes sense then. Some flat wire inductors have a good insulator and can be unrolled.

As far as solid vs stranded wire, the choice is yours all I said was that 'generally' people use stranded wire for speakers. This is evidenced by the vast proportion of speaker wires on the market are stranded. Solid wire might be fine but the majority opinion is to use stranded.

Sorry to hear about your speakers being damaged by solid wire. You should have listened to the majority. Next time you'll get it right.

:D

I don't think that I would gamble my house on unraveled inductor windings, especially between the carpet/padding, but magnet wire appears to have a sufficiently strong varnish to handle under carpet padding/hardwood floor traffic. I had twisted pairs of 12ga under mine for over 20yrs and found no appreciable wear n' tear on the insulation when I removed them for remodeling.

I agree with RAW though, using other than UL approved for the app. could really cost you if they caused a fire bad enough for the insurance folks to get involved.

WRT solid Vs stranded, I was either a part of, or had access to the results of, myriad wire/wiring termination tests that went back to the beginning of the 20th century and high quality silver plated solid copper of sufficient cross sctional area for the intended current/pathlength was always the best performer, though not necessarily the best for the app. for one reason or another, but by far what made the biggest difference was the termination(s), regardless of the test/wire type/app..

GM

You can't even get a shock from speaker wire much less start a fire.

Well, I haven't tried to get a shock, but many commercial 100w amps have the capability of + and - 50V, and able to draw a few amps. Certainly is capable of a decent shock. The dust, and fuzz that finds its way undernieth carpets, could be very flamable, only needing a decent spark. I repaired a speaker once, which had burnt insulation around a terminal cup. The person over drove it, at a party, and chased everyone out of the house with the smell.

kilowattski said:
Mark,

I think Ken is asking if one of those flat conductor aircore inductors that are used in crossovers can be unraveled and used as speaker cable. He would like to take advantage of the flat conductor to run underneath a carpet.[/url]

Yep, that is what I am asking about

markp said:
HOW? A straight wire is not an inductor, it takes a coil to create inductance.

Mark is right, no coil = no inductance.

Here the speaker wire would be considered low voltage, and doesn't really require inspection if not in a commercial establishment.

I had some Goetz air core inductors at one point that had a thin sheet of plastic insulation.

OTOH, it may not be worth the effort to determine the length and order it.

I'm not that far From Circuit City, Best Buy and other flat wire places. However, they were quite proud of their flat wire if I remember correctly.

This is for my son to use for his HT rear speakers.

regards

Ken L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.