SEAS A26 build

They keep getting better :cool:

Been using them daily since I hooked them up and the initial build euphoria has not worn off at all. Still need to connect up some key amps and torture test. The larger A26 is blocking vertical growth of my tower of diy electronics, so need to shuffle things around. One thing I find particularly impressive is the quality when the volume knob is twisted to the right - and this from a humble Wiener Pro. Super smooth and non-fatiguing.

More when I can, driven by Pass designed M2 clone and VFET, and hopefully also even an F6.

BK
mine are getting better too!:)

180 litre D'Appolito monster with the Exotic T35

I too have been following.
I see the validity of the super stuffed thing but yearn for a 4th order.

But that would be close to 6ft3.

I think 3ft3 or 90l sealed is a valid option.

Agreed.

This is an idea I have been looking at for some time with the A26. 90 litres looks like an ideal for this driver, I am a fan of low Q sealed alignments. Maybe I should build an enclosure with a pair in D'Appolito? 180 litres starts becoming quite a big enclosure however!!

DM :)

Hi,

first i build the World Design version of the A26- very nice but a little bass shy.
From my Pispeakers 4pi project i had 85l enclosure and i like it a lot more.
There is a very full sound and a lot of controlled bass even with my sunaudio 2a3. But most of the time i use it with my l1 audionote clone.
I changed the tweeter to a visaton frs5x fullranger with an waveguide and for me it is a lovely, full sounding speaker.

Not mine idea- i read a building thread over at the diy hifi forum here in germany.

2-Wege - geschlossen - klassisch - GROSS - DIY-HIFI-Forum

Best wishes,

Frank

I changed the tweeter to a visaton frs5x fullranger with an waveguide and for me it is a lovely, full sounding speaker.
Very interesting idea. Also frugal. A 12 euro component as a tweeter instead of a 200-300 euro component. (Not sure what the waveguide costs though)

Have you compared it with the "official" tweeter for the dynaco classic a26?

Very interesting idea. Also frugal. A 12 euro component as a tweeter instead of a 200-300 euro component. (Not sure what the waveguide costs though)

Have you compared it with the "official" tweeter for the dynaco classic a26?

This is the waveguide:

https://www.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=15...526782519998&gclid=CJuVrNfqg9QCFdXNGwodKSwE_A

No, i didn't compare it with the "official" tweeter- my only comparison was the standard tweeter from the WD25A.
A speaker which Peter Comeau designed as a modern A25 Dynaco.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010082...rld-designs.co.uk:80/acatalog/wd25ahfw1a.html

The tweeter was the 29TFF from Seas.

I like the fullrange/waveguide combo better because there is more airiness in the presentation and more room information.
Another positive thing is the wider sweetspot.

Best wishes ,

Frank

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-05-22 18:02:37.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-05-22 18:02:37.png
    332.8 KB · Views: 867
Hi,

first i build the World Design version of the A26- very nice but a little bass shy.
From my Pispeakers 4pi project i had 85l enclosure and i like it a lot more.
There is a very full sound and a lot of controlled bass even with my sunaudio 2a3. But most of the time i use it with my l1 audionote clone.

Not mine idea- i read a building thread over at the diy hifi forum here in germany.

2-Wege - geschlossen - klassisch - GROSS - DIY-HIFI-Forum

Best wishes,

Frank
hi
so you prefer the A26 over the 4pi?

thanks

There was also a rarer larger box version of the A26 back in the day. Also much preferred by those who knew. Its continued popularity is largely due to the high inductance of the Seas 10 in bass driver & QTS that rolls it off smooth & early which simplifies the XO & makes it so versatile. Seas quality reliability & consistency also contribute. Much underrated classic. Using a waveguide correctly should smooth the power transition curve & make the music clearer @ the XO point. Smart & cheaper.
Nice
BTW using the Audax TW034XO with wavegude is another more refined option that is still less than 1/3 the cost of the Seas T35C-002

Last edited:
I believe audiopath is referring to the A35, which had two chambers connected by a slot vent. I should do that with some of my surplus boxes and compare. The A 25 leaks LF for the sake of a small box. Otherwise it is a classic. Did epi copy it with the four layer vc woofer and low fs tweeter or is this another basic approach that has been around since day two?

Fullrange + H1411 is good idea. But you need more superior product than cheap Visaton. Tang Bang for example. Xover in that case must be moved in 500-700Hz region for most quality. It will be nice in that way.

Yes, maybe...
But i am not so good in loudspeaker development. I like the Visaton very well - you can listen very long without getting tired to the sound.

Maybe i check your suggestion with a Fostex FE103S which i have somewhere...

Frank

I believe audiopath is referring to the A35, which had two chambers connected by a slot vent. I should do that with some of my surplus boxes and compare. The A 25 leaks LF for the sake of a small box. Otherwise it is a classic. Did epi copy it with the four layer vc woofer and low fs tweeter or is this another basic approach that has been around since day two?
My version of the A35. I've listened to the original A35 and loved it! But there have been modifications I am willing to share. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 121
Can you get the tweeter closer to the woofer? They should be as close as possible.

dave
Dave,
I know! That was the plan! My builder wanted an aesthetic build.
Since I'm sitting 11 feet from the speakers I'm not noticing anything untoward the sound; I've been reading on this particular faux pas today.
This speaker build does more things right than wrong which has me so please with the result. Taking baby steps to further improve the sound.
Another deviation from the A35 build: I did add an aperiodic port out back this past week to improve the bass, which it did.
A local engineer audiophile friend of mine suggests I remove the internal vent, leave the brace in place and put a few more holes in "said" brace to further improve the bass response of the enclosure.
I'm thinking about it. If I do it, I'll be closer to the A26 speaker with a bigger cabinet. Based on the driver's specs, it should be able to handle the extra volume even if aperiodic.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 57