8-10" driver for midbass FLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thanks GM

My restrictions as to size is limited to apx 1 meter vertically, and 1-1.2 meters in the horisontal plane.

As for SQ I want a lower midrange/upper bass horn that present music with a live feeling, with (all of its) punch/slam and snap. Maybe dynamic is a better word. And it has to "float with ease". It is not very easy to describe what I mean here but: I have listened to not very efficient mid drivers in an ob, and they did not give me urge to "play yet another song", while efficient drivers have done the opposit.

As for the horn, it should have controlled directivity in the upper region, making the transition to upper midrange horn best.

I do not know if this made any sense - it does in my head but are not easily described by words.

Your desired "punch and slam" will be produced by your lowest frequency speaker section. For mid range you want to have what is known as "full body" and this comes from using the proper sized horn. Most noteworthy, are the associated problems when attempting to use a compression driver in a compromised size horn to cover the mid range-- because lower mid range is still part of the mid-range. In my opinion, you are on the right track, by using an 8 or 10 inch cone for the lower mid-range horn, and yes, I agree that since every speaker system is a compromise, a 700hz crossover point is about right for this. Just MUST get the crossover to be seamless to your device which should be able to cover the 700-7kHz decade. By the way, if I were told i had to use an 8 inch driver, for horn loading the lower mid range, I would choose the Eminence Delta PRO-8. A ppsl bass section, along with a proper horn for each section of mid range (lower, upper) and a superb tweeter on top would be a world-class speaker system (if you get the crossovers right).

I am in search for a horn-driver able to mate a horn covering the frequency domain of 6-800 hz and downwards. SQ is the only parameter for the horn.

I am aware of the BC 8sp21, but are there others (even better)?

How about this: B&C Speakers

Best regards

Gisle

The B&C 8pe21 is will cover that range very well. I wouldn't use it below 80 cycles. Than it may get tricky and a 10" may be better if you can find one that will go past 600 on the top end in a big horn.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Thumbs up !!

The B&C 8pe21 is will cover that range very well. I wouldn't use it below 80 cycles. Than it may get tricky and a 10" may be better if you can find one that will go past 600 on the top end in a big horn.

Agreed .... 8pe21 is a fine unit for a mid-bass horn. For a compact, tight fitting system, I'd probably choose to cross the bass-to-mid bass somewhere between 8- and 100 cycles :)

Again, thanks Pooh and Scott. Based on the advices and a proven design by Inlow, I will settle for the 8pe21 and the 135hz horn, which I hope to "mod" a bit to get a tad more low end. A bit longer and perhaps a bigger mouth (if that dies not mess up the low end)

Thereafter I might try some of the other drivers as my experience grows.

Thanks for all input and suggestions!

Again, thanks Pooh and Scott. Based on the advices and a proven design by Inlow, I will settle for the 8pe21 and the 135hz horn, which I hope to "mod" a bit to get a tad more low end. A bit longer and perhaps a bigger mouth (if that dies not mess up the low end)

Thereafter I might try some of the other drivers as my experience grows.

Thanks for all input and suggestions!

You may want to slow the flare rate if you are thinking of a bigger horn (great idea) Maybe John Inlow has a plan for you-

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.