B&W 683 V1 Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recently a friend of mine gave to me a B&W 683 V1 that he wasn't using. I noticed tha the tweeter sounded very low compared to the mid-range. I tested tracks that I know are very bright and you can hear the bass and the Mid-Range normal but the tweeter always sound very very low. I have to put my ear very close to the speaker to hear the tweeter.

For testing I took out one of the tweeters and put it in another B&W speaker I have, a 805 Matrix, a very old one. And in there the tweeter sounded fine. I put the 805 tweeter in the 683 and sounded low also.

I think the problem is the crossover, but my questions are:
How can I test the crossover? Multimiter I guess.
What values should I get?

I dont want to invest in a new crossover if the problem is something else.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
first, would be to test the obvious parts of the XO. Take it out and check that nothing has come loose, or that a lead has broken. If so, just solder it back and you should be good.

If that isn't the issue, then you can test for continuity with a DMM and make sure that there isn't any open components. You can't test inductors or caps in circuit, but they will typically look like there is a problem, either burned or in a caps case, the top will bulge.

Feel free to post pics of the XO, we will review and assist.

Lemiongo,

Usually the easiest way to test the issue is to swap the tweeter. :) See if the problem follows the tweeter or not.

There are also some obvious things to check before going mad scientist. Make sure the connectors and wires are in good condition. Everything from cold solder joints, bad crimp connectors, oxidation etc. can cause these issues.

Of course, visually inspect for any parts that appear burnt or broken as well.

Best,

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.