I want to build 2-way surround channel speakers for home theatre purpose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the reason for the small surround models you're seeing is the assumption that they will be used in a typical home theater setup. That is, the low bass will be redirected to the subwoofer(s).

I would say it's more important to find surrounds (and center channel) that match the frequency & phase response of your main left & right speakers as closely as possible, if not the exact same models.

When I first started messing with surround sound, my mismatched center & surrounds worked OK for movies (center for dialogue, surrounds for effects). But it wasn't until I was able to acquire a matching set of 5 speakers that it really began to work well for music. Nowadays, I'm a big fan of surround, and a total sucker for all the 5.1 (and 4.0) music mixes & remixes that are out there. Some of them are fun, others are magnificent.

Dayton RS180-4 and RS180-8, Which is better woofer for surround channel speakers ?

I am bit confused to buy between this two woofer.

I am providing Spec list Link for two woofers below -

1. Dayton Audio RS180-4 - RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm Specification Sheet

2. Dayton Audio RS180-8 - RS180-8 7" Reference Woofer 8 Ohm Specification Sheet

I want this woofer for 2-way design and sealed enclosure for home theater surround channel speaker.

Dayton Audio RS180-4 advantages -
1. Lower Sealed F3
2. Higher SPL

Dayton Audio RS180-8 advantages -
1. Higher BL
2. Lower Qms, Qes and Qts

Which one of this woofer will be suitable for my requirements ?

And i want this woofer to crossover with Dayton RS28F-4 tweeter.
Dayton Audio RS28F-4 tweeter - RS28F-4 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter 4 Ohm Specification Sheet

Please don't suggest other brands because except peerless fabrikkerne India no other brands are available in my region.
Some other brands available like PA Audio and Fane Internation, but i think there are more for PA speakers rather than home theatre speakers.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Since sealed designs for surrounds are supposed to be unobtrusive then I would personally go with whichever gives you a smaller box volume.

Looks like the 4Ω version would give you that at 67hz F3 or so which to me would be about perfect for a surround speaker.

Also look at the Dayton Audio RS180P-4 it has a paper cone and possibly even smaller box dimension with an 80hz F3.
I'm partial to paper cone drivers though.......

I'm interested in the crossover you choose.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Yes, you need one amplifier for each driver used.
SO for a pair of 2-Way speakers you would need a total of 4 channels of amplification.
The DSP handles the crossover by only sending lows to the woofer amp and highs to the tweeter amp.
You can program them for similar slopes to a passive crossover but you eliminate the reactance that the crossover can cause with the drivers used.

aka active two way.
so for 5.1 you need a 2 channel amp and 2 channel dsp per channel
i ran down this rabbit hole for the fine tuning ability.
i ended up with a custom DAC for each range.
i stuck with two channel cos of many devices. in the end, i can make any speaker sound good.

i used the miniDSP 2x8 digi as active crossover and equalizer.

minidsp12 333-15khz > dac > amp > full range
minidsp34 55 - 333hz > dac > amp > mid
minidsp56 18 to 45hz > dac > amp > sub
minidsp78 > stereo mix > dac > headphone amp

IMO for surround speakers. do not 2 way. find a nice full range and use multiple per channel.then use the dsp for equalization.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ps95-8-3-1-2-point-source-full-range-driver-8-ohm--295-349

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rs100-8-4-reference-full-range-driver--295-352

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ce-full-range-driver-truncated-frame--295-336

ex.
https://www.minidsp.com/
a DSP (Digital Sound Processor)

it allows you to offload the signal into software. it is limited to the processing power of the device.
there is a crossover plugin.
there is a eq plugin
there is a room correction plugin.
there is a etc plugin

you can mix and match plugins. the capabilities are endless as long as you stay within the limit of the cpu

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.