Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Corrosion SEAS Magnesium Drivers
Corrosion SEAS Magnesium Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th December 2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Eek!😬😟
Old 16th December 2016, 06:45 AM   #12
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Completely unacceptable. Seas know about it yet they dont provide any warning. The problem is obviously not just cosmetic. Thumbs down for Seas
Old 16th December 2016, 08:06 AM   #13
Bill poster is offline Bill poster  Thailand
diyAudio Member

It's probably a very rare occurance. A similar thing can happen to car alloy wheels
Old 16th December 2016, 08:38 AM   #14
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
I did reply to this that, if corrosion will occur in damp climates, then the ethical thing to do would be to add a warning on their website about magnesium drivers. I did not receive a reply.
Regards,
John
You're absolutely right that a warning would have been more ethical but in a crazy world we live in, we all know what the prime directive is.
Old 16th December 2016, 09:42 AM   #15
gazzagazza is offline gazzagazza  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I believe that SEAS may have made some changes to their materials in the past couple of years to address this problem.

Sent from my x600 using Tapatalk
Old 16th December 2016, 07:00 PM   #16
Mardi is offline Mardi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Excel Mg corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksquires View Post
So I struck a little Google Gold! I searched for woofer corrosion and found an interesting thread. Bottom line was that the formaldehyde off-gassing inside the cabinets from the MDF was responsible for the crystals forming. More here:

Driver durability in hot & humid SG
Good Googling!
That looks very plausible. The enclosures are made of mdf.They are sealed, and the corrosion appears worse on the inside.
Hmmm...

I'm still going to replace the drivers with the cheaper aluminium L12's, but I will seal the inside of the box.
There is a low formaldehyde mdf that I do use these days, but I can't recall what I used on these particular boxes.
Thank you for your research,
John
Old 16th December 2016, 07:52 PM   #17
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
Good Googling!
That looks very plausible. The enclosures are made of mdf.They are sealed, and the corrosion appears worse on the inside.
Hmmm...

I'm still going to replace the drivers with the cheaper aluminium L12's, but I will seal the inside of the box.
There is a low formaldehyde mdf that I do use these days, but I can't recall what I used on these particular boxes.
Thank you for your research,
John
The corroded baskets on the photos are made of aluminium... paper cones and plastic basket should be my choice.
Old 16th December 2016, 09:55 PM   #18
jkasch is offline jkasch  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangus View Post
Completely unacceptable. Seas know about it yet they dont provide any warning. The problem is obviously not just cosmetic. Thumbs down for Seas
+1 Drivers shouldn't require Ziebart.
Old 16th December 2016, 10:04 PM   #19
5th element is offline 5th element  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am sorry but there is no way that corrosion of that degree can be having no effect on the performance. If it was simply some spot corrosion on the front of the cone affecting only a thin skin, then self protecting...that's not the case though.
Old 17th December 2016, 03:54 AM   #20
Mardi is offline Mardi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Corrosion

I've just replaced the drivers with a L12s, and I realised i have used foam on the inner walls of the enclosure, about one inch thick that I got from an acoustic foam supplier. I wonder if the foam might release formaldehyde or something similar. Anyway, to be on the safe side, I have removed the foam and replaced it with the usual stuffing material.
John

Corrosion SEAS Magnesium DriversHide this!Advertise here!