SB Acoustics SB29RDC vs. Satori TW29R-B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• SB29RDC_TW29R-B_1.JPG
    SB29RDC_TW29R-B_1.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • SB29RDC_TW29R-B_3.JPG
    SB29RDC_TW29R-B_3.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 1,059
Attached is a direct comparison with Zaph's graphs for distortion in the SB29RDC from a long while back, although one is cautioned against draw conclusions across testing setups..

Yes, one should be cautious to compare distortion measurements done in different ways using other measurement equipment and setups.

For instance I don't use an infinite baffle setup when measuring. Instead I use a normal sized loudspeaker baffle showing more what to get in a real life setup rather than an infinite baffle. I always make a note of the baffle size and driver position I've used for the distortion measurement as well as for my frequency measurements.

My two SB29RDC samples have a 2nd order spike around 5.5kHz which sticks out compared to other measurements I've seen for this tweeter. The odd-order distortion plots more or less follow the other measurements I've seen.

It's safe to compare distortion measurements between the drivers I've measured using similar techniques and setups. This is my results and I can't really say why it might differ from other measurements done by others. Perhaps in this case it might be my two unique SB29RDC samples or something else.

I use the distortion plots in order to get a general idea of the drivers limitations and working range and to see if there are any issues that has to be dealt with in the cross-over design like e.g. odd-order distortion spikes caused by cone break-ups etc.

I don't compare absolute distortion numbers as long as they aren't too high to cause an issue.

Regards

/Göran

Troels measurement looks kinda like yours but with less pronounced HD2 peak at 5.5KHz, under 0.5% at 93dB/m.

Troels izoblicenja.gif

There are two more, done by HobbyHifi magazine and a guy from Sweden, Hanatsu.

izoblicenja.jpg izoblicenja.png

But as you said, conditions of measurements are varying and so are the results. Thanks for your input on these.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.