Looking for Ribbon Tweeter Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for an smallish inexpensive speaker kit and would like to try out ribbon tweeters. I have never had a pair before, and they sound interesting. I have found the Stance Kit, sort of. It seems to be out of stock at Parts Express. But that seems like what I am looking for. Any other suggestions?

Intended use:
For use as casual and somewhat critical music listening but not loud, I will hook up some vintage gear (reel to reel, turntable, etc. I may update the amp with one of those class T amps or some fun vintage amp) also will be hooked up to my PC for it's speakers, very near field setup (3ft), older ears, 70's 80's rock and more modern electronic dance music (no I don't expect huge bass although I have some small Klipsh speakers with a sub that could be pressed into service if extra bass is needed). Yes, I can solder and work wood, so the kit building is not a problem.

Yes, I dug through the 63 speakers on Meniscus. A lot of cool projects there :) But in my price and size range, the Speedster and Stance are the two it narrows down to. In some further reading, some say the Beston RT003C used in the Stance is not a true ribbon tweeter, but gets great reviews all the same. The Speedster uses the NeoCD1, which seems to be a true ribbon, just higher priced. hmmmm.....

True- the Beston is a planar-ribbon, as opposed to a true-ribbon. Most of the planar/ribbon styles use a flat oscillating membrane that varies in terms of material and suspension orientation, as well as conductor arrangement.

I don't know why you say you found my Stance at PE 'sort of, but out of stock', as PE does not have license to sell the kit. I gave Meniscus permission to do so. The main build thread/development is over at PETT:
I theorize: 'Stance' a mini 2-way with RS125-4 and Beston RT003C... - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

Let me know if you need any info, as the design is mine,
Wolf

Stance by Wolf Teeth | Photobucket

Goran has these on his audioexcite website.

www.audioexcite.com Kensho Two – M2

Look like good drivers. I have some cabs the right size for these and keep looking at them to try out a ribbon tweeter.

Near field listening doesn't look to be their strong point though as Goran suggests 2.5 metres.

Hi,

No problems with a listening distance of 1m. At 1m the drivers line up and sums optimally with a listening height slightly below tweeter center, aprox. 3cm.

Regards

/Göran

Wolf-
Thank you for the response. You are correct, of course, I think I must have confused the discussion over at PE with another kit that was out of stock.

And while I have your ear, how critical is the thick wood on the cabinet? I am working with a kind of limited space between the top of my computer monitor and a cabinet above.

The shape of the baffle is the most critical piece, and that includes the height, which is only 3/4" material on the top and bottom. You could likely shave a bit off the width, about an inch or less, and likely the back (half inch) as well. The side panels are 1.5" thick, and the back is 1.25" thick. These have full comp BSC, which means they are intended for free-standing placement at a good distance from walls, and the ports are on the rear and need to breathe. If you place these against a wall, or on a desktop, or in a cabinet of sorts where they get boxed-in, this is severely going to change their tonal character and likely emphasize the bass range.

Later,
Wolf

The rear would not be completely boxed in, but does not sound like it would be ideal situation for them. I still need to go over it in detail, but I recall there is a somewhat complex baffle inside, with 4 holes in it. Can they be modified for front facing port? or no port? I could give up some bass, if it is as simple as that (which I doubt it is so simple)

The mass channels in the side panels are not mandatory. There really isn't room for the port on the front unless you slot it at the bottom. It's okay to run them sealed, but you'll need a sub.

The baffle step looks like this below. It's just an example and not actually for the Stance project. It is first a gain and then rolloff into the bass range of -6dB. This is due to the radiation pattern as frequency decreases and wraps around the baffle and cancels itself out with the reflection off the front wall of the room. The wider the baffle, the lower this transition occurs. This cancellation is null and void when using in-wall design, or omnidirectional designs.

When placed close to boundaries, the bass can become thick and chesty into the midbass if the design is meant for free-standing and has full BSC.

Lojzek- thank you for the compliment!
Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.