Spider types question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was checking out web sites that do speaker re coning, voice coil shot.
Found one that does do my driver but has two types, one that has a cupped
spider :confused: and another that doesn't. Would that be a flat spider? I assume that by cupped they mean the spider has U shaped folds?

If you found a shop that repair these speakers ... please let me know .. I have a pair of scan speak .. have been repair once ... but they screw the job ... need repair again ... they change foam surround but put a generic foam ... resonant frequency went up one full octave ... i was ................ upset ...

Joined 2004
Paid Member

Attachments

• 005_20.jpg
    005_20.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 006_20.jpg
    006_20.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 112
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you found a shop that repair these speakers ... please let me know .. I have a pair of scan speak .. have been repair once ... but they screw the job ... need repair again ... they change foam surround but put a generic foam ... resonant frequency went up one full octave ... i was ................ upset ...

I'm looking at
Professional Repair, recone, refoam
to re-cone, due to coils fried.
I can't comment on their reputation, however, as I'm just now looking around.
Don't know the cost yet, somay not be worth it compared to purchasing newer drivers.

I've replaced foam surrounds on my Dynaudio 21W54 woofs using foams from masisound, about 13 years ago. Did not do fequency tests after, so.

I don't know what speaker repair companies might be charging for the reconing but I suspect it won't be cheap. If it were me, I'd be getting a new Peerless HDS polyprop driver instead. I have worked with it and it's an amazingly built unit for the money everyone can afford.

To all the interested in having a third party refoam your speakers, remember to ask how much higher the resonant frequency might shift. Too great of a difference and the repair doesn't make sense anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.