Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-250F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Klipsch, not what it used to be...

This model is the baby version of their "tower" line, that said, it is much too small to bring the drivers up to ear level. They might work well flanking a computer desk for audio off your desktop....but little else.
The performance is highly optimistic & reaching....I doubt seriously it will reach down to the stated specs, those dual 5.25 drivers trying to displace the lowest frequencies.
While keeping within your price point, might I suggest an alternative to your selection. Behringer makes a line of studio monitors, one is on clearance at Partsexpress.com....A two-way, 8" driver with built in amplification, & room correction.
Part no.248-6904, Model no. KS-NEKKST ...I think this a better choice....within its limitations, not for a truly big room, at party SPL levels....but should work great for anything less than a big room.

----------------------------------------------------------------Rick..............

The performance is highly optimistic & reaching....I doubt seriously it will reach down to the stated specs, those dual 5.25 drivers trying to displace the lowest frequencies.
I listened to them briefly, distortion is low, bass is OK, but tweeter is elevated (easy to fix in the crossover). Quoted sensitivity is overly enthusiastic at 96 dB/2.83V/1m, I would say it is less than 90 dB.

Elevated tweeter = tweeter level is higher than average for whole speaker.

Worth a ponder: I was less than impressed when I listened to some Klipsches (different model). If you auditioned them and liked them, then fantastic. I wouldn't buy speakers because they're ok, but half price. I'd rather find something I think is fantastic for the budget I'm willing to spend.

For the money, it might be worth comparing the RP-250 to Monitor Audio MR4.

ok thanks for the input,
some people dont like the "in your face " sound, I do,
I listened to these speakers in a showroom at ABT in Glenview il, I really like them , next to Polk, Definitive Technology , Sony, Bowers & Wilkins, Yamaha, Svc and others. I liked them , I was planning to buy them and after a few weeks when I saw 50%off retail price , I jumped on them. I do like them a lot.

I have the RF-82 II and paid the incredible price of $200/each shipped from Frys. They go for this every so often. I love them. I find them great for surround fronts (RB-61 in rear) and for stereo listening. Very detailed with no harshness at all, but I have good amplification behind them. I would go for these, the RP-280s, or the RF-7 IIs which are going to be cheaper now that the IIIs are out. If you really want to live, spring for the RF-7s!

Thank you Klipsch owner ! wow ! you have a lot of the K products in your house, I started to feel alone! What's your center?
RF-82 II for 200$/piece??? That's insane, Frys does discount them a lot, but they dont advertise anywhere, you have to be in the store to see the discounts...

My setup is RF-82II fronts, RB-61 rears ($200/pr Frys), and RC-62 center with an old Def Tech sub. Best to go to slickdeals.net and set up a notifier for RF-82 sales or any other product and you will get an email when Frys advertises the sale. You need to sign up for the promo code emails at Frys. Sometimes these are in-store only. The RF-82 is truly a fantastic deal at $200/each, but I have to admit I came pretty close to using the RF-82 for rears and getting the RF-7s for fronts a few times, but that would be extravagant. Similar sound signature, bigger sound. They are huge and beautiful. The B stocks for $1500 on eBay would be what I would do, but with the new 7-IIIs out, the 7-IIs could be coming on sale for non-B versions.

The only danger with the Klipsch products is that either due to poor amplification or one's particular ears, there might be a harshness, which I have picked up on a pair of KB-15 I have, but my setup does not exhibit that. But try to get them locally if possible in case you need to return.

Awesome setup, I couldn't have all of those in my small/er house. I have energy RC-LCR for center, energy cb5 in the back , energy ESW-C10 sub and klipsch rp250f ( replaced energy rx-10). Way much smaller and still my wife complains when I crank it up a little bit.
All of them powered by onkyo810, great device btw.

RP-250F thoughts

I can't help but be amused at the specifications the manufacturer claims for this mini-tower. They must know something about the laws of physics the rest of us don't! Paul Klipsch must be rolling over in his grave!

Know one must use a bit of hyperbole from time to time to make a point or two. But Geeezzzz! To do what is claimed, ie., 96 db efficient, -3 db at 35 Hz and handle 100 watts RMS assuming half space, would require a woofer with a volume of displacement of around 370 CC. And that is conservative.

This would be a 12" with an xmax of 7+ mm peak.

A pair of 5.25" with an Xmax of 7 mm are going to be well under 100 cc.

I am not anti Klipsch.. a Klipsch corner horn was my first speaker. Met Paul Klipsch on a couple of occasions. Just hate to see his name treated with such disrespect. And see potential customers lied to. Sad.

With that said, if one likes the RP-250F, great. Better off than most folks. It may be the sonic bargain design it is advertised to be.

It's basically about Volume of displacement. To do the things that Klipsch is claiming requires way more displacement that can be obtained from a pair of 5.25" class drivers at the stated efficiency - sensitivity. If you were able to increase the Xmax of the 5.25 to the point they could move enough air, their inherent efficiency would be VERY low, like 80 db/watt or similar. It's what the Iron Law tells us.

You can get an idea of how much air you need to move by playing with the SPL work - spread sheet available at the Linkwitz site.

Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.