Kef C80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of KEF C80s that I purchased new in the 1980's. After almost 20 happy years, they're starting to show their age. The drivers are a T33 tweeter (SP1210, 4 ohm), B160 midrange (SP1203) and B139 woofer (SP1212). I suspect the both T33s (and possibly one B160) need replacement. Fortunately, both woofers are fine. I have been unable to replace any drivers directly from KEF America ("T33s may become available again sometime in July, we can't help you with the B160"). Can anyone help me obtain T/S parameters for the two drivers so I can begin searching for appropriate replacements?

Thanks.

4 ohms

I have another question along the same lines (sorry, I'm kind of new at this). I don't see much in the way of 4 ohm tweeters that will fit my C80s without requiring some cabinet modifications (which scares me). How much trouble would I create for myself by using an 8 ohm tweeter instead? Would KEF's "unique" conjugate load crossover complicate things?

An 8 ohm tweeter will not work well with the c/o.
Adding a 8R resistor in parallel is an option.

Also note the C10 uses the B160 driver apparently,
so a second-hand pair of these may be an option.
The tweeter may also suit, but I think its a different
shape and not as good as the T33.

:) sreten.

Good idea.

An 8 ohm resistor in parallel should work if we are basing its selection on the nominal impedances of the T33B and the replacement. Would it be more appropriate to use minimum impedance or DC resistance (or even something else)? Or am I being overly precise since they all should generate similar results?

I don't know how I could find a crossover schematic.

It looks as if I should just play it safe and find myself a good quality 4 ohm tweeter. I guess I could wait until July and get new T33s from KEF (assuming that they really will have some available by then), but I never was very impressed with them. Even when the speakers were new, I thought that the tweeters weren't as good as the rest of the system.

Thank you for the advice.

Well, it's been 5 days and I've received no reply from KEF Audio (UK). I guess that's another dead end.

I got a pair of Peerless tweeters, with the same square 94mm face plate as the T33s, from Solen. Unfortunately, they're 8 ohm. I'm going to try them in parallel with a resistor to see what happens. I'll try several different resistors to see what works best (match nominal impedance, match minimum impedance, etc...). Hopefully, one combination will give me the results I need to get the C80s back into my system.

I'm still open to any alternate suggestions.

Thank you to everyone.

Update on the KEF T33 tweeters:

KEF America now sells a replacement tweeter for the C80. The model number is SP1549+ and they told me that it will fit right inwithout modification to the cabinet or crossover. It also can be considered an upgrade as it is supposed to be a little smoother and more extended than the original.

KEF C80 CROSSOVER SCH

BobA
this is KEF C80 schematic

W = KEF B139
Mr = KEF B160
Tw = KEF T33

Attachments

• kefc80.gif
    kefc80.gif
    40.2 KB · Views: 436
Hi all,

Not sure if this thread is too old, but I require some info on the Kef T33 used in the Kef R107.

I am sure this is the T33B 4ohm model, and was wondering if anyone can confirm this and give me driver specifications ?

I am looking for drop in replacements for the T33 in the 107, and have been told Fostex FT28 tweeters are usable, but also heard a couple of Scanspeak drivers can be fitted to the T33 faceplate?

Any confirmation on the above?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.