Coils: inside out or outside in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What I've read is that 'some' recommend the incoming signal goes to the center of the cap winding.

They claim this will result in the outer windings acting as a shield and reducing any external rfi mri effects on the signal going through the cap.
They have even measured this with proper test equipment and shown real world results to support this.

Depending on the brand, the writing may not indicate the winding direction.
So the hard core measure and test each cap before determining 'signal flow'.

I have never experimented with direction etc.
All seems a bit like the idea of using brass screws to mount the drivers because they don't affect the drivers magnetic field thus creating non linear distortions.......

I'm in the camp of an AC signal being just that.
It flows one way, then the other.

If it floats your boat to polish the wire before you solder it, then have at it and be happy within your self :)

i'm still tying to come up with the proper test and/or measurement to verify that the differences i hear with respect to feeding coils from the inner or outer are verifiable and not mearly subjective.
to wit i've noticed (for lack of a better term) a consonance and/or dissonance depending on coil orientation (feeding inner or outer)
it's much easier to hear the effect in the presence of another source of the same program material.
in chosing and installing some coils to create a shaded frequency line array i could easily hear the difference. i lost sleep trying to determine if "one way" is best/correct but in the end just went with sounded best to me but i am still searching for ways to qualify/quantify something i can hear.

since then i've gone back over a few speakers in my collection and made changes in coil connection that at least until i find the proper verification made a "subjective" improvement.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
What are your thoughts on why this is? Something like non-linear physical expansion vs contraction of a non-potted coil against the 2nd harmonic produced by a speaker? or maybe after re-soldering you placed the coil down on a surface where its resonance changed?

i think that the inner (more closely spaced windings) exhibits steeper response that changes (flattens/decreases) as the winding size increases.

the only other time i've heard a similar sonic effect was when adjusting narrow band delays for feedback supression tuning and some phase and "stereo width" contol circuits (hard to describe but akin to phase cancellations/anomalies)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Some more guesses based on your last post, iron core and/or interactions, (and not discounting physical resonance since you mentioned narrow band).
turk 182 said:
i think that the inner (more closely spaced windings) exhibits steeper response that changes (flattens/decreases) as the winding size increases.
They may not contribute as much to the value of the inductor, but the rate of rolloff shouldn't change if the inductance is stable with frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.