Car equipment in house it can be done and i am going to do it..EXPERTS!!!! watch me - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2004, 09:26 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

See, Tim agrees
Old 10th March 2004, 09:29 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

I usually regret making generalizations.
Old 10th March 2004, 09:33 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Lifes too short for regrets.

Some people are more serious than others.
Old 10th March 2004, 10:18 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody for your input my mission to proove everybody who thinks car audio cannot work well in house wrong would begin on my first paycheck...tonight i am going to choose (roughly) my parts...on the net......my first piece of equipment is going to be the power supply.....does anybody knows how the radio shack 25amp power supply works.....how well it works????? would that be enough?? cause i dont listen to music loooooudly all the time maybe just on s aturdays.........i would be running a few 100 watts (300 maybe) i'll tell you all about my choice of amps and whatnots.......i am going to build a rack to house all my components......i know with some dedication i can get a cheap musical system......i say cheap cause car audio is cheaper than house audio over here......and i have a wider range of components to choose from..........as far a s i can see t he only hard part to get is the power supply.........if you all have any suggestions on power supplies.....please help me out.....wish me luck folks......i would need it...and once again thanks..........Let the madness begin......oh yea my system is for music alone......byeeeee feel free to stop me in my tracks if you all think i am going off course.........byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....and thanks....any suggestions on good quality car audio equipment would be appreciated...........byeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 10th March 2004, 10:30 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShinOBIWAN
Lifes too short for regrets.

Some people are more serious than others.
I'm sorry, but, if you could include voice inflections in your posts it would help me tremendously.

Go for it Andre! Good luck!
Old 10th March 2004, 10:44 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Andre,

If you just gotta have a 12V auto power amp, then you should look to switched power supplies, not transformers. Switched supplies are very efficient and cool, while iron core transformers are hot pigs.

You can figure your power needs this way: watts = volts*amps. Or since you need to know amps, then amps = watts/volts. Your volts = 12. So if you want 300 watts, you need 300/12 = 25 amps.

Mine is a Samlex America SEC-1212, which is 10A continuous. You might want the SEC-1223, which is 23A continuous, 25A peak. you'll need to shop on line to find a good dealer. They output 13.8V, not 12V, but so does your car when it's running so it's fine.

http://samlexamerica.com/samlexhome.htm

Cheers,
Wayne
Old 10th March 2004, 11:27 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

YEa thanks for the support i need your help though........the internet is big so if yo8u all see a car sub thats worth using please tell me.......here are some brands ihave available......image dynamics...JBL ....infinity, rockford, kicker, pioneer, cervin vega, lightning audio, power acoustic, directed audio ,treo,soundstream,audiobahn,crossfire,mtx....and the other popular brands..........what wouldyouall recommend??????.......and would 25 amp digital power supply would do????
Old 10th March 2004, 11:48 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

The image dynamics looks good......parameters from winisd what you all think???
QTS:0.26
VAS:219.7 L
FS:19HZ
RE:3.90 OHMS
XMAX:9.5MM
Z:4OHMS
QMS:3.50
QES:0.30
SENSITIVITY:91DB
PE:300 WATTS
Old 10th March 2004, 11:52 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default bigger is better-and cheaper!

One thing to keep in mind is that a bigger cabinet may allow you to use cheaper speakers.

How? Well, the resonance frequency of a speaker is determined by stiffness and mass. The stiffness comes from the spider, suspension, and the air in the cabinet. As cabinets have gotten smaller, the stiffness becomes higher. The cone and coil are made heavier to keep the resonance low, increasing the cost-AND, now the magnet must be bigger to keep all that moving mass under control, increasing the cost even more!

If you look at older speakers, say 1970s, they tended to have much lighter cones and smaller magnets. Today, such speakers would be quite low priced. However, you need a bigger box (less stiffness from trapped air) to avoid driving the resonance and boominess up. If your cost to build a box is not huge, you may save a chunk of money this way.

Unfortunately, I am not current as to which woofers you could buy like this, you'll have to look at Parts Express, Madisound, Zalytron, and the usual places advertised in AudioXpress to see what they have. I'm sure there is some stuff cheaper than a lot of the big car stereo woofers, which are really only good as subwoofers, and will need a lot of power in a home application due to the high moving mass.

P.S. be SURE to stuff the cabinets well with fiberglass or Acousta-Stuf etc. I can say from personal experience it makes a HUGE difference with bigger cabinets made out of relatively thin wood.
Old 10th March 2004, 11:54 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

does nippon america make good power supplies?

Hide this!Advertise here!