Crossover check Overnight sensation MTM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pictures

Overnight sensation MTM crossover - Album on Imgur

This is my first (and last) multi-way speaker buildI think the circuit is correct. Instead of attaching three leads to the crossover, can I attach one lead then three leads to the speaker terminal?

Do I need to glue the components down to the board for audio reasons or anything? The leads go through the board and are soldered so they aren't going anywhere.

thanks for help. I regret doing this build and wish it was over.

Glue should reduce the chance of component leads breaking in the future as they could weaken with vibration over time. Glue could also reduce vibrations with the inductors that might affect sound.

Thanks. Seems reasonable.

Any idea on going with one negative lead from the crossover then three to the input terminals? The only other option is screwing a distribution block to the board (that I would have to buy)

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Grounding schemes are not near as critical with speakers as with amps so dividing to three negative connections is fairly straightforward. Yes, terminal blocks are useful as is soldering. Again one of the main concerns is reliability over time. Dry twisting the cables would be an example of how not to do this (except during the testing phase).

Grounding schemes are not near as critical with speakers as with amps so dividing to three negative connections is fairly straightforward. Yes, terminal blocks are useful as is soldering. Again one of the main concerns is reliability over time. Dry twisting the cables would be an example of how not to do this (except during the testing phase).

Everything I have is soldered in the pictures. All three positive leads hit different components on the board so attaching them was easy. All three negative go to the same spot.

I want to avoid just a huge glob on the bottom so I was thinking either screw a block to the top and solder to that or solder one lead to the input terminal then solder three to that.

Or a third solution I have yet to think of because I've never done this before and didn't know I hate it.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
The ground can be done a few ways, your choice.
First, run all grounds to the same spot on the XO.
Second, run one wire from the XO to the negative terminal and have all wires connected there.
Third is run one wire from XO and one wire from terminal and then split them to each speaker (kind of hanging inside box)
They will all do the same thing, which is connect the circuit from input to XO to speakers, but obviously have different reliability with taking all wires to the XO as the most secure bc you can glue/attach them to the board to limit movement.

I'd put the big choke flat on the board, have the small one tipped up and hot glue the caps to the board.

I thought about doing that but then decided to just follow the Example exactly.

The zip tie has it very secure. The logic you are using is pretty obvious, I just thought as I don't know why the example was designed that way I better follow it. I will get some hot glue on the caps.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.