Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Artichoke Horn
Artichoke Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2017, 02:59 AM   #61
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Still quite good, especially since it's not finished and seen worse from manufacturers.

GM
Old 16th May 2017, 05:49 AM   #62
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm running this as a mono 2-way. It is good.

1) I got the miniDSP worked out.

My issue: the dedicated power supply (an external phone battery with USB ports) that I intended to use for the miniDSP is faulty / reacts oddly to the load, so it would shut down every 10 seconds. I tried skipping the DSP, using a passive crossover, and time-aligning the drivers physically (stacked driver-on-driver). The flaw was a small sweet spot - if I sat down, the mid horn blocked the output of the HF horn.

Easy fix: I now run the miniDSP off the same 12V battery* as the amp. With DSP delay, I now stack the horns mouth-on-mouth. This is a lot better.

2) My waterproofing technique (external PVA --> fibreglass bug screen --> external paint) needs to improve.

I started off trying to use huge sheets - the full 2.4m width of the roll. The problem is, it is very difficult to get a section that big to wrap around corners and lie flat. Much easier to cut the mesh into smaller sections and overlap them.

3) I'm still working on:
-smoothing / filling in the internal angles
-haven't reinforced the rear chamber
-haven't yet tried a phase plug

It sounds nice & very clear already. It has that (good-but-dangerous) property of not seeming very loud until you try to have a conversation in front of it ...and you realise you have to yell. Standing behind the horns, conversation is easy, no need to raise your voice at all. So (subjectively), the directionality is very good.**

The weak link for SQ seems to be the HF breakup of the 2" driver***. My short term fix will be to kill response >10kHz via miniDSP.

The ideal and (very) long term fix will be to keep building it up to a stereo 4-way system, and to get new (matching) diaphragms.

*A 10 watt solar panel + a charge regulator + a large (truck?) battery I rescued from hard rubbish. It was ridonculously easy to set up. Lot of alligator clips, so it looks a bit like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
I haven't done the maths to see how many hours use I have - but one battery happily plays for (at least) 3 hours & I have a spare battery, so I think I have effectively infinite power.

**I should try a lap of it with a SPL meter. I guess it will show that a lot of LF is leaking.

***I'm still using the JBL / mystery speaker:

4" (JBL clone) diaphragm identification

Last edited by hollowboy; 16th May 2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 23rd August 2017, 06:07 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Just minor tweaks, lately, due to laziness + wet weather. Also: no rush, since it sounds pretty good already.

I'm doing a household de-cluttering, which intersects nicely with this project.

This diffuser is an old Ikea fruit bowl, that happens to be a perfect fit. I've glued it to the rear chamber's cap, with some wool sandwiched between the plastic layers. Those raised cylinders are all open, so this wool-stuffed volume is well connected to the main part of the chamber.

I'm using wood scrap and chunks of packaging foam to break up the symmetry of the other internal surfaces.

On the main body of the horn, I'm filling / stiffening the corners, and have used very primitive external damping - milk crates filled with rocks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap.jpg (113.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg drum.jpg (81.6 KB, 169 views)
Old 23rd August 2017, 05:34 PM   #64
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Old 12th October 2017, 02:18 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

Next step: I'm going to go 2.1 way. I'm making a couple of 150cm long 100Hz horns, 90*90cm mouth, for 12" drivers. They'll cover about 2 octaves, with 2" horns taking over >500Hz.

The smaller size is:

-so they will fit in my van, thus I can make them in a workshop. The bigger one was made on site, and mostly with hand tools.
-so I can make them MUCH more rigid, yet still shift them.
-because I got a stack of cheap formply in < full size sheets.

In the medium term, I'll place them directly flanking the larger horn, roughly doubling the mouth area. In the long term, I'd like to mount them within larger bass horns (coaxial).

I only get a few hours per week to work on them, so this will probably be finished early 2018.

Here be construction pix + an image of the existing horn.

The form is a 4-cell multicell, for rigidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overdone.jpg (237.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg skin begins.jpg (397.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg rough.jpg (424.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Centre panel.jpg (461.3 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by hollowboy; 12th October 2017 at 02:28 AM. Reason: clarity, grammar
Old 12th October 2017, 07:28 PM   #66
pcgab is online now pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Artichoke Horn
Looks like you're off to a great start for the new horns!

Are you using the form to make the horn expansion with layers of ply?
Old 15th October 2017, 10:01 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Ugh, ambiguous English!

I meant one of the other meanings of 'form', not "a supporting frame". That is:

The final shape and structure of the finished horn device shall be a 4-cell multicell, for rigidity.

I boosted the cross sectional area to account for the volume the bracing takes up.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:08 AM   #68
pcgab is online now pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Artichoke Horn
Ahh, that makes sense. Keep up the good progress!

Artichoke HornHide this!Advertise here!