Help. Can I rewind speaker voicecoil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It seems you have nothing to lose really. But you will have to take it apart. And it's far from easy winding it by hand. You should be able to find some threads with pointers on how to take it apart.

I have a apair of Axiom 301's which I may attempt soon. But I know that I'll need some kind of winding jig which I've also got to make.

Use enamelled copper wire of the same gauge and length as the old one, and wind it with the same number of layers and in the same position on the former.

One option is to use varnish to hold the coil down, though it should be able to withstand high temperatures (180oC+ perhaps). There are dedicated varnishes for such coil winding jobs out there...

If the sub is any good, then it may be worth getting someone with experience to rewire it for you. The chances of success on your first attempt is low, but a good learning experience if you're not worried about destroying it...

Well if it's a rare/vintage speaker, expensive speaker or one u really love then get it reconed at a recone shop.

So if it is cheap rubbish,then do it yourself.

Use the same length and thickness of enammled copper wire,and attach it to the former with Epoxy Resin glue or thin layer of marine grade epoxy resin putty. which both can stand 300 degrees c.:hot: :hot: :hot:

It's cheap and I'm doing it.

The speaker is actually from a 75W bass guitar amplifier my son uses. In typical tennage fashion, all controls are turned up to 11 out of 10 and strings are slapped hard. The amp does not have any fuses. Me thinks the manufacturer counted on the voice coil being the fuse. Well the VC fused OK but not before the OPTs vapourized as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.