Tang Band 75-1558SE or Eton 3-400?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, I'm doing some research on these little midranges, just saw the measurements of these two:

TB 75-1558SE

Eton 3-400

They can play loud and keep the low-distortion at the same time, the TB one has slightly lower distortion than the Eton 3-400, but the low end of 3-400 is far more flatter. Well, this ain't no a problem since either of them would be fine when we usually cross them (these kind of little midranges) at around 800Hz.

About the other end, I guess the limitation (LR4) of them is 3.5 - 4kHz theoretically, but in reality could they really can be crossed at this high?

Which sounds better is the most important factor but this is a rather ambiguous question... one is soft, the other stiff… both seems to be good, anyway, my head is spinning…

Upper end usability of both drivers will most likely be dictated by what you want you want your off axis response to look like. Both in terms of vertical and horizontal.

This is more so with the TB as the Eton has a distortion peak at just over 4kHz that you ideally want to avoid like the plague. We're talking 4th order acoustic at 2.5khz or so.

Both are excellent choices and are free from impedance glitches throughout their usable passbands.

The Eton can be used slightly lower. The TB doesn't need it's own chamber/cabinet though.

I have the 3-400 in my 2nd system (see my website)

They are impressive
I use them from 300-3k (sealed cabinet Q=0.52ish)

Bought the Tang band 3" with metal cone (W3-315) for a potential surround speaker, as the 3-400 are obsolete, the TB are not in the same league...
collecting dust now.

Later

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.