Re HC15 driver, anygood?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Looking at building a 110ltr sealed enclosure using the following driver:

Re HC 15"

Fs: 25.7hz
Qms: 7.06
Qts: 0.43
Vas: 114ltr
Xmax (1way): 21mm
BL: 22.6
SPL: 88.5

Basically I'm curious as to how well this would work in a sealed enclosure. I'm after quality rather than volume. Does the BL figure of 22.6 suggest that it is indeed a very good performer?

Assume you're talking about the Resonant Engineering HC15.

Since you're using a sealed box, I'm also assuming that you are after sound quality too, and as such I would recommend their XXX line.

EDIT: Oops, skipped over the part where you said you were looking for quality.

The XXX uses Adire Audio's XBL^2 technology which leads to lower distortion, so I imagine it would sound better at higher output levels.

EDIT2: You can use Linear Team's WinISD Pro to calculate the output of the driver. Download from their site.

the RE HC 15 costs almost half that of the XXX 15, considering their previous sale and lower used price

110 liters would actually be really good vented for the driver tuned to around 29-30hz with 35-40sqin of port, its a very nice driver with a good mix of both SQ and SPL

Do you already have the HC15? The most recent deal was buy two for $300, because they are being replaced. I don't know if there are many more in stock if any. As stated earlier the XXX would be better suited for sound quality but if you get the HC at a good price then its your decision whether you want to pay more or not. Currently, only the Brahma, Tumult and the XXX have Destijl's XBL^2 tech, but a few smaller drivers will be sporting it later this year.

kan3 said:
creative sound also has a driver that sports the technology

Yep, some 4 inchers commisioned by CSS from Adire. Also the Adire Extremis 6 (which I"m interested in) and the RE will have some car comps with a smiliar 6.5" driver. That's all I know of, there'll probably be some more down the road.

By "lifeless" what exactly do you mean? I've heard the Brahma described as "transparent." I could see how the two could be used to describe the same type of sound.

heh I was actually talking about the creative sound SX 10 driver with xbl^2

I've heard them refered to as transparent but I'd describe it more as mechanical and not very musical

When you listen to something you have an impression as to how it should sound in your mind - be it from live or recorded reference - and to some the driver doesn't sound like it should in their mind, some like the drivers and some don't, I've heard from both sides

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hifi is and always will be like food.

Everybody get something out of it, whether its good or bad is down to the individual.

BUT:
Chocalate is the exception here though, there ain't nobody gonna turn some chocolate.

[waits] for the 'have to be different' crowd to dissagree ;)

ThomasW said:
I read a goss generalizaion with no supporting background information.

I assumed by "elaborate" that you were refering to the adjective used and not the path leading to it

What drivers are you comparing them to?

plenty, specifically oz 250/300L, ID max, dd 9515

Was the equipment powering the drivers the same? In the same room?

none of these were A/B comparisons and all were in car except for one of my friends b12 which was in room, all drivers listened to were either friends installs or at comps

every single one of them had the same sonic characteristics, it kind of sounds as if I'm listening to a machine instead of an instrument

now its your turn for a description of the brahma/xxx

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.