Orpheus Crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiya,

I have a pair of Orpheus cs28s (that i have posted about on this forum before), but i have hit a wall with trying to get them fixed up. I replaced a tweeter with an original, as it was blown, but now the crossover seems to have gone! I am getting ONLY tweeter out of one cabinet, and nothing through the bass/mids channel. Does anyone have any hints as to what could cause this? The crossover, by the looks of it is fine. No blown caps, coil in good nick - though in saying this i am only 20% proficient in this stuff.

The cabinet is (basically) this one Orpheus CS28 refurb and upgrade - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET though my crossover only has one coil... Any tips on where to start before I remove all components to test would be a massive help! As far as i can tell these things retailed for 3K in the 90s so would be a massive shame to let them go.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Erik, pretty sure you were the champ who helped me out last time (I got them briefly working too!). I basically went back to basics, only thing connected now is the input and the tweeter (which is working). But cant seem to get a signal out of either woofer line (though they are in parallel i think).
Dont know if this gives any clues?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well, yes, but the woofer should go through that great big coil. :)

In any event, a 9V battery may be your friend, with some jumpers. Hook one end to the - of the woofer, and touch the other side to + and work your way backwards towards your inputs. Eventually the sound will stop. 9V is plenty save for a woofer. :)

Best,

Erik

OK so here are the results. I have tried to map out the diagram, with poor annotation... I then ran the + of the battery to the + of the speaker, and moved it around to see result (these are in red) and then connected the negative and moved it around (these are in blue). (w) means woofer went off, (T) tweeter (x) nothing, and (B) both. I still have no idea what the problem is! haha not sure if you can read my crappy handwriting and poor diagram terminology, but any suggestions??
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Michael,

your board appears to lack parts in comparison to what I've found
from your link. Accordingly, the original XO should have been like this.

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 164
  • cs28s.jpg
    cs28s.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 173
tentative success

you guys are my heroes. apologies for the lack of capitalisations, my keyboard is broken. next project.....

but. after reading both of your info, i decided to draw myself a more legible circuit diagram, and low and behold, the woofer circuit never actually made it to the positive. after checking the the images and circuit diagrams i seemed to be missing a coil, and looking at the board for the crossover, there seemed to be a nice little circle of glue. so i dug down in to the now eroding foam at the bottom of the speaker and i found it. the glue must have weakened and when it fell off, managed to break the solder off too.

i think ive got it now. just waiting for my soldering iron to heat up. will keep you updated but thanks so much again, really really couldnt have done it with out you. checked out your lm-1s as well erik - they look dope.

cheers,

michael:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.