Seas A26 Kit - Modelled in XSim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thinking of building this kit, would it suit a smallish carpeted living room paired with Tubleab SSE (single ended) running KT88's...about 8 watts? Am currently using Dynaudio Audience 52 standmounts (4ohm 87db) and the amp even with this speaker goes loud enough... I just think the easier load would be lapped up by the SE?

By the way, the Clarity caps are on sale at Parts Connextion and Madisound so now is a good time to get the betteer LM-1 parts for cheap.

Want to make sure, which kit are you thinking of building, the A26?

But either kit has better impedance than the Dynaudio, and both are more neutral. I'd consider Lojzek's mod, and add a 2nd pole to the HP section between 0.68 and 0.92 mH

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Thinking of building this kit, would it suit a smallish carpeted living room paired with Tubleab SSE (single ended) running KT88's...about 8 watts? Am currently using Dynaudio Audience 52 standmounts (4ohm 87db) and the amp even with this speaker goes loud enough... I just think the easier load would be lapped up by the SE?
I've built a version of this with the traditional single cap design. Less than 30 watts from my tubes and it was pretty dull.

The 10" cone comes alive with about 30 watts in the specified cabinet.

It has better midbass response in the quasi vented enclosure, better bass response in a sealed cab.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Anyone have updates on they A26 builds? My knowledge of cabinet design is minimal so I plan to purchase the enclosure or find a wood worker to build cabs based on the plans provided.

I currently own some 2 way BR speakers using an 8" full range augmented by a tweeter. The A26 is similar in principal but I'm hoping for more detail and wider frequency response from the 10" driver in the SEAS.

Yay! I finished my S26 build

Only two months worth of weekends:eek:...

I found the kit box design finsh a little on the dull side,(shoot me if I see another plain jane wood speaker box!) needed to drag a retro design into the 2000's! So a little bit of a homage to the decades in between...not bad for a 1st time router user & MDF spray painter

Details...standard box, no bracing, not required IMHO, removable tweeter face plate in case I want to change the box color!...with 8.2Ohm Xover resistor for the tweeter and the Mundorf Cap...ummm the sound is very well balanced for my little room driving with only about 8watts of tube SE power...quite a bewitching sound:cloud9:

So if ya thinking of building this Kit I hope this inspires a little (I hope SEAS are ok for my little bit of signage)

DSC06905#.jpg

DSC06906#.jpg

DSC06907#.jpg

DSC06908#.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job with the build.

How is the bass output? I have a similar speaker using an 8" full range and 1" tweeter that gets down to 45Hz. I would hope the larger 10" Seas driver can get a fuller sound in the lower octaves.

Its not a bass devil, the vent is def more linear than reflex port though, well compared to my previous Dynaudio speakers at least. Am only running 8w SE tube amp so there is that to consider too. But the bass is correct and goes low enough in my smallish room..I suppose by the laws of physics a 10 inch driver will go lower than an 8 inch driver

deadpool - really cool build! Also interested to know your impressions on the sound and how it compares to speakers you own or have owned.

Well I repair Hi-Fi for a living inc cheap japanses brands...so it blows all that low fi & mid fi crap away...

Now the speakers are replacing Dynaudio 52 Audience speakers, which ive had for about 20 years (!)..they are not too far removed from them, the sound is more balanced and are voiced better IMHO, I like how the bass is controlled so I can place them in the corners of a room and not get too much midbass boom...the midrange is a high point and that 250USD tweeter is super well extended and balanced compared to the Esotar in my Dyns...

I have likened them to the Audinote AN-E speakers (similar design) which ive heard at a local hifi show...but of course I like my build better and way cheaper...they are just good speakers:) bias aside!

For time aligning the drivers, shouldn't the tweeter be recessed from the woofer by some amount?

I see your tweeter has taken a step forward in your design, which would seem to make it less time aligned. Simply based on what I have read of the A26 design. Is this an issue with A26 and how have others worked toward time alignment of the drivers?

For time aligning the drivers, shouldn't the tweeter be recessed from the woofer by some amount?

I see your tweeter has taken a step forward in your design, which would seem to make it less time aligned. Simply based on what I have read of the A26 design. Is this an issue with A26 and how have others worked toward time alignment of the drivers?

its actually not stepped forward, I havent rebated the woofer or tweeter (cause it was a 1st time with a router) ...so they are exact same alignment time wise as the original design...bit of a trick all I have done is put a 6mm cover around the tweeter a cheats way ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.