DIY Air Motion Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The original ESS Air Motion Transformer (see my avatar) has a very smooth and sparkling sound and its resolution is about the best you can buy. Once you've built speakers with them, you wouldn't want to go back. However, a new pair of these drivers costs about 1000 Euro (about the same in US$). Sure, you can look on ebay, but they are still pricey as you are competing with all the other audio fanatics. Plus you never know what you get, as the diaphragms can fail in many subtle ways.

Hence my plan: DIY Air Motion Transformers. As I took one of my old ones apart, I realized there is really nothing special about them. No part that I couldn't replicate in the workshop I have access to. Except for the magnets, and the diaphragm. The ESS diaphragm is available as a replacement part for about 70 US$, so I decided on using the original ones. The magnets (you need 4 of them per driver) are about 125mm x 50mm x 18mm in size and I don't know any further specs.

I think I will give it a try. In case anybody is interested joining in, what I need to figure out is a way of getting / measuring the magnet's specs (material, force factor) and a cheap source, preferrably in Germany, for buying them.

I use the AMT 1A and cant do without, so i´d like to build my own too.
Will go for making diaphragms also. Magnets are pretty basic ferit material, assemble from smaler standard blocks is ok, i´ll check with a coupple of our magnet suppliers. Neodymium would make a smaller magnet but wats fun with that? The problem with neodym is it werry easily gets demanetized, many professional users switch to ferite models after their neodymium monitors stop working when dropped once.

Thanks for all the info!

I will limit my first try to more or less replicate my old 70's AMT-1. If it sounds at least as good as the original, I might feel motivated to experiment a bit.

For the moment, I'll definitely stick to the original diaphragms and do only the rest.

Can anyone think of a technical reason why they stack metal sheets for the pole piece instead of using a milled iron block? If the reason is only a cost / production issue, I think it will be easier for me to mill the pole pieces from an iron block instead of milling hundreds of small pieces.

I decided to use standard ferrite magnets. My motivation is to get the same sound for less money rather than making marginal improvements by spending hundreds of euros.

The "case" will be milled from aluminium, any technical objections? I could switch to composite materials, too.

The "polepiece/difraction lens" was punched out of sheet metal for production cost, nothing else. Neodymium magnets are not better than ferite, just smaller and slightly poor reliabillity, alnico would make a difference ok but impractical. I´ll post information on suitable ferites, getting reply from supplier tomorrow morning
Suitable polyethylene film for diaphragms i´ve got.
If we start from there i propose we go for fieldcoil instead of magnets once we get it to play.

AMT-freak said:
Can anyone think of a technical reason why they stack metal sheets for the pole piece instead of using a milled iron block? If the reason is only a cost / production issue, I think it will be easier for me to mill the pole pieces from an iron block instead of milling hundreds of small pieces.

Well I could suggest it reduces hysteris the same way laminated
inductor and transformer cores do, but I've never seen it in a
loudspeaker magnetic circuit.

In loudspeaker magnetic circuits laminations are definetely
not a good idea, due to losses through the laminations.

Probably the sheets were pressed, not milled, and for
pressing the thinner the material the easier it is.

:) sreten.

Well I could suggest it reduces hysteris the same way laminated inductor and transformer cores do, but I've never seen it in a loudspeaker magnetic circuit.

[...]

Probably the sheets were pressed, not milled, and for pressing the thinner the material the easier it is.

My reasoning was about the same :) Especially as the sheets don't look like the typical laminates used in transformers - they are not isolated against each other.

re:laminated pole peices

The pole peices are laminated to reduce Eddy currents. When the magnetic flux changes, due to a signal in the coil, the flux changes, which induces an opposing current in the pole piece. Laminating the poles in conventional speakers reduces the voice coil inductance, so I've heard. Surprised about the comments on neodymium nagnets;- they are used in brushless dc servo motors, and I thought they had such a square B/H curve that they'd be difficult to de-magnetize.

Ingvar, I seem to have overlooked you post. Thanks for your input.

The "polepiece/difraction lens" was punched out of sheet metal for production cost, nothing else.

So I will definitely try the "whole block" instead of "stack of sheets" approach - easier to mill for me. I consider the probability to accidentally find suitably shaped sheets in large quantities quite low, but you never know...

I´ll post information on suitable ferites, getting reply from supplier tomorrow morning

I also contacted some German suppliers and expect pricing information tomorrow. However, 125 x 50 x 18 ferrite blocks magnetized through the thickness are hard to find.

BTW, do you think an aluminium case instead of the cheapish plastic will have an impact on sonics? I'd like to make the case as rugged as possible. In case the bare metal surfaces harm the sound through reflections, wood, velvet or cork can be used to avoid this problem.

Suitable polyethylene film for diaphragms i´ve got

How are you going to apply the conductors?

If we start from there i propose we go for fieldcoil instead of magnets once we get it to play.

A light-weight AMT for a change? ;) I think I still prefer magnets as a simple and cheap approach. The field coil's supply noise + hum will couple through to the sound output, even if we connect the coils in a way that power supply issues are cancelled out (to a certain degree, that is).

We would have to read through all the power-supply-which-triple-of-caps-to-chose threads on the forum then. :dead:

On the other hand, if we make a full-range AMT, an adjustable field coil supply would make for a perfect volume control, wouldn't it?

To keep you updated...

I was offered ferrite block magnets, 131 x 51 x 17.5 mm, "Oxyd 300", anisotrop, axial magnetized for about 12.50 Euros per piece in single quantities (including VAT, excluding P&P).

So we would get away with 50 Euros for the magnets plus 60 Euros for original ESS diaphragms. The iron and aluminium comes from the junk yard. Add some bucks for good looking screws, and that's it!

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics from my disassembled original AMTs this week.

The cat cot tangled up in my first attempt for diaphragm, thin alluminium wire, sprayglue, polyethylenfilm and cats makes a mess. I´ll go for replacement diphragms for start but try with heat laminating film and wire instead of glue, anyone want a cat for loan a coupple of days give me a note.
Rumours in the late seventies said Oscar Heill actually made a fullrange AMT, large, about 500Kg.... so either we buy forklifts or go for fieldcoils

Re: To keep you updated...

AMT-freak said:
I was offered ferrite block magnets, 131 x 51 x 17.5 mm, "Oxyd 300", anisotrop, axial magnetized for about 12.50 Euros per piece in single quantities (including VAT, excluding P&P).

So we would get away with 50 Euros for the magnets plus 60 Euros for original ESS diaphragms. The iron and aluminium comes from the junk yard. Add some bucks for good looking screws, and that's it!

Hopefully I'll be able to post some pics from my disassembled original AMTs this week.

Gedday AMT man,

I also am an AMT1 (Heil) owner and would like to
experiment with building more / optimisation of design.
Your idea of rare earth mags sounds good, maybe alnico
better (if you can find appropriate size).

The ticket for this party is to CAD design the "sandwich" plates
to perfectly fit magnets and form an appropriate short
horn section. The original ESS AMT's were turret punched
mild steel which is somewhat restrictive to shape or "form"
however these days Laser cutting is the go. The gen tolerances
acheivable with Laser is 0.1mm, and any shape is possible.

So if you are interested, myself being a design engineer,
can do the CAD work and generate the sections and lay them
out on a typical 1800x2400 sheet, generate a DXF and all you
do is give it to your local laser cutter :)
The sections can accomodate the magnets or whatever horn
form is desirable for the "mouth" of the AMT. You can also cut
some internal tooling holes to slide a vertical aluminium dowel
for alignment of the plates or maybe just use some SS threaded
rod with nuts on top bottom.

Let me know if you are interested, however currently I am
*very* busy with large projects. So you guys have to do a lot
of the nutting out and sourcing of stuff. I can do design and
generate the profiles but only when I can fit it in.

PS what is the situation with patents on this design?

Cheers,

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.