DIY Air Motion Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Besides a slightly different diaphragm, the pole pieces are the most important change to the new AMTs.

Promitheus, I did get your pictures, thank you very much. However, they do not provide the information I was looking for. As the newer pole pieces are made out of thicker sheets, replicating them would be easier. Can anyone provide more information on the new pole pieces? How are they shaped, are they still a stack of sheets, what are the dimensions?

Do the diaphragms come out easily?

There is a thing like soft grey gum covering them.

I think that my diaphragms were changed before I bought them and that one of them is in the wrong direction. The cables that come out from the bottom are different in the two speakers.
In one speaker they come out from the right and in the other from the left.
Can I just rotate the one speaker from back to front?
So I was thinking of taking the diaphragms out to check them. But I was afraid to remove this grey gum that covers them.
What do you think I should do?

The diaphragms are held in place with this gum. You can safely remove it (both top and bottom!). Simply pull the diaphragms out by the wires. They should come out easily.

I don't know whether it matters if they are reversed, but you could check this by changing polarity outside the drivers. You will hear it when they are connected correctly.

Remember: Unauthorized removal of diaphragm voids warranty coverage ;)

group buy AMT diaphragms

Is anybody interested for a group buy in Germany. We could save money so in this way

Hi Promitheus, I'm interested in agroup buy, but I live in Italy, mybe it's possible to arrange it.
By the way these are my ESS AMT- Davis Loudspeaker
Let me know,
regards,

Antonio

Attachments

• aer.jpg
    aer.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,028
Hoi Antonio,

Interesting design of yours. I have the Costruire with the article here at home but unfortunatly I don't understand nothing from the Italian langauge. I suppose that there isn't an englisch version of the article.

I understand that you use some kind of pressed together damping material in the hole wich seperates the front chamber from the TL tube. What is it made of ? What is the damping plan for the whole speaker ?

Very interesting that you use a typical mid-range driver to cover the low and mids. How does this workout ? Any real limitations in the low end. Also a pretty clever idea to provide some room behind the AMT for damping experiments.

I was thinking of trying a very similar design with two PHL 1220 6.5" drivers a friend of mine has lying around.

I've spent literally hundreds of hours finding a perfect lower frequency match for the AMT. There is none. The AMTs are so lightning fast that all other drivers will always be behind, which is quite audible.

Using a midrange driver and extending its range towards the bottom a bit (through a clever enclosure design or whatever) might be one way around this problem. I chose another route, but this belongs into another thread. Please lets limit this discussion to DIY air motion transformers only.

To keep you updated, I'm very limited in time and I can dedicate no more than one hour per day to audio projects at the moment, most of which is consumed by PCB design. However, I talked to some knowledgeable people about easy (and cheap) ways to manufacture pole pieces. We're investigating possible solutions.

Antonio, I'm also interested in group-buying 2 to 8 diaphragms, but not before some other projects are finished.

AMT experience

(sorry for my english)
Hi all,
17 years ago I had my first pair of ESS AMT tw . I loved it. But with the time now I don't like it.
Note I purchased also ESS Transar ATD2 ( heil tw + heil wf+ sub) .
Anyway, about the tweeter
, the magnet structure is a "horn" (or a wave-guide)
and the sound is very "horn-type". :(
Again vertical dispersion is poor.
So I had a dream ( in 1991 or 92) : a small Heil without "horn", with
littles neo magnets.
5 years ago, ETON made ER4. I tried it . Wonderful!
My dream was good. :)

Best regards

Anyone have any good updated info, I think I'm gonna try to do a couple of these myself. I have a pair of Eton ER-4s, but they really don't go low enough. I have a pair or AMT1s, but I'd like something I can mount in a baffle.

I'm going to try to duplicate the ER-4 design, but use the larger diaphragm from the AMT-1. I think Mundorf has something like this in the wings they are about ready to release (AMT 2730). I don't think I can do any better than Mundorf, I just have issues with paying $500+ per tweeter.

Anyone have any input?

I have found three drivers that are near perfect match.

The best of the bunch is a homebrew (modified Atwater, cone, voice coil, spider, surround, trial and error continuing project) 10" field coil.

The others are 100 db sensitive linear drivers (JBL 2123, TAD 1201) on an open baffle. The field coil actually is to the point where it is outclassing the AMT, below it is a simular modified 15" field coil in a Karlson Klam. This system is coming very close to my perfect vision of a speaker and has minor faults- I am now looking to use field coils on the AMT diaphragm :D

OliverD said:
I've spent literally hundreds of hours finding a perfect lower frequency match for the AMT. There is none. The AMTs are so lightning fast that all other drivers will always be behind, which is quite audible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.