look at these Peerless kit speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i disagree. Peerless HDS are better for midbass duties. XLS for woofer/subwoofer applications. do you have any specs on those speakers?

peerless kits from Wes are reasonably good value, as far as australian kit speakers are concerned. i did a parts breakdown (AU$) a while ago, if anyone's interested i can send the excel spreadsheet. when you add up the cost of the raw internal parts alone, (ie. purchased from other vendors) the cabinets cost about $185 to $900 (a pair 5" bookshelf black vinyl to a pair of 1.2metre tall jarrah floorstanding cabinets).

the cabinets are fully built and finished and come with grills.
if i purchase a kit speaker i'd buy this one, not other kits whose raw MDF planks cost the equivalent of $600...

sorry I think they are not XLS woofers, they are a special Peerless long throw double magnet variety of their normal woofers.

the cabinets cost about $185 to $900 (a pair 5" bookshelf black vinyl to a pair of 1.2metre tall jarrah floorstanding cabinets).
$900 for a pair of floorstanding cabinets...:confused:

whose raw MDF planks cost the equivalent of $600...
Umm not really

Umm why doesnt the WES website have the prices only for the smallest bookshlef model?

tech.knockout,

i have just finished building my own floorstanding cabinets. here's the cost breakdown

MDF cut to size at Bunnings- $80
Acoustic Damping - $100
PVA Glue $10
Tmber veneer - $120
Dacron filling - $10
Danish Oil- $27
Wax - $38
PVC port- $5.
MDF for grill- $6

labour - too many hours.

Total price- ~$400.

$900 for a fully built fully finished cabinet is not unreasonable.

In line with Vaf cabinets eg. $1,000 for I66.

Now as a comparison have look at The Loudspeaker Kit's TL6...

WES prices are only available on request...

i have no direct experience with that driver, but Linkwitz did a midrange driver distortion comparison, and the 2 the Peerless HDS that he measured performed well, to the point he considered them definite performance/price leaders.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030411223212/www.linkwitzlab.com/mid_dist.htm

if u can get some hard facts about actual driver models, crossover topology etc we can make a guestimate as to how well it might perform.

These do not use the 8" HDS unit, all the drivers listed here have convex dustcaps, the HDS are concave. The look similar to the XLS range of drivers but they are not. To me they look like long throw versions of the SDS range. Obviously custom designs.

So combined XLS with with SDS.

fishball79,

i found the dacron at an upholstery shop. u know places that repair old chairs, lounge suites etc? there's bound to be a few in your state. (usually in industrial/manufuring suburbs)

when i asked they immediately knew exactly what i wanted, then queried what density i wanted. usually people just ask "what's dacron?!"

not sure if bunnings do 45 degree mitre cuts or route. sorry.
i used butt joints and cut the holes myself.

my next pair of speakers will use pre-veneered MDF and i'll get the suppliers to cut them to size and 45 degrees as well.

veneering aint easy...

<sigh>

fishball79,

no worries, happy to help.

being in brisbane you can get all sorts of veneer and pre-veneered MDF from Brims Wood Supply

no idea how much it costs, but i suspect once u sum up the price of individual MDF purchased and cut at bunnings, veneer, a litre of glue/contact cement and time and effort trying to get the veneering perfect, the pre-veneered shouldn't be too much of a stretch. i may be wrong though.

the only difficulty now is trying to figure out how to make joins (obviously you can't do butt joints with pre-veneered stuff and mitre joints are a pain (even assuming the supplier can cut PERFECT 45 degrees, lining up 12 mitre joints to form a square box may not be easy)

if you do purchase some please pop me a PM to let me know the prices.

cheers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.