GRS 10PF-8 10" Paper Cone for open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, Sorry for the late report as things have been pretty busy around here lately.

Anyhow I haven't got around getting the true drive parameters yet, But I will be doing that soon along with FR graphs and THD using REW and other programs that I use often.

The First test I did is that I installed into a 1 cu. foot box that I have and gave it a listen.
It is not a bad driver for $10, not the best but not bad at all considering.

The driver seems to be built fairly solid ( I have seen worse), But we shall eventually see if it will come apart or not. ;)

With the box sealed it had a very strong low end, Most likely from its high Q at 40hz or so, It was nice and punchy.

I have read that this high Q can make the low end a bit muddy when used for TL's or and/OB setup's (I guess), I found this to be true with this driver but is workable.
Since I have 12 of them I will make them work !!!! He,he,he,he :)

So then I listen to it OB in my box that measures 13.25"^3 on the inside.
The low end needed to be tamed due to that peak, using my EQ's on my Mackie 32-8, I used two filters, one cut and one boost.

I can't tell you the exact frequency's right now because my mixer is covered with a bunch of stuff, I will get those for you later and more as I go along testing this driver.
By the way it didn't take much at all, just a little tweak.

Once I got it tuned it sounded good and only took 5-10 watts to get to its Xmax. I think at one point I used 20-50 watts on it and no damage yet, driven from my Crown DC300A.

The only thing that I noticed as mentioned was the muddiness of the low end, but don't read in to this too hard as it was only slight as I am use my woofers being highly damped.
It was a bit hard to pull out the kick drums and attacks on the low notes of the Bass guitar tracks that I listened to, know matter what I did with my EQ's.

I listened to everything from ACDC, Greenday, Montrose, Spindoctoors to Simply Red and Spandau Ballet.

This brings me to the next test,

I have this all wool utility jacket that I stuffed in to the back of the box and it made a big difference in the SQ of the low end!!

Stuffing it all in tight was too much. But once a loosened it up and got the dampening just right it sounded really good!!
Slightly re-tweaking my EQ's I was now able to hear the attacks of Kick's and bass very nicely now.

Once I was actually able to pull out the Kick drums and have them nice and tight I was very happy with this driver and I can't wait to get all 12 of them stacked up and properly dampened, It will be sweet !!!

These will be the low end for my new ESL build.

These drivers will give me only a little less displacement then what my last system had with 4x12's and 4x10's and I'll be happily back into the +105-115db range cleanly again!! :D

This all I have so far but I will have more later.

After I had got them I had found that MCM has some similar drivers for the same price range and I think a Xmax of 5mm compared to these at 3mm.
But I don't follow those specs too religiously anyhow, it is all about how they sound when they are playing.

I rarely need to push my last system past 3mm of Xmax and was comfortably in the +105db range...Cleanly.

Since I will have 12 of them stacked up THD will be at a minimum due the lesser driver excursion and being OB'ed or TL'ed.

Plus I still have six 8" subs that I can setup for help on the extreme low end should I need it.

More on this soon. :D

:cheers:

jer :)

Last edited:
I was playing around in Winlsd Pro and this is what I have so far with 6 of them stacked up with the data that comes with them. :)
100 watts equals 114.68db !! :wave2s:

jer :)

P.S. If I remember right I used the same Eq setup and range on my mixer's Para Eq's once I got it tuned in only by ear.

:cheers:

Attachments

• Linesub 610a.png
    Linesub 610a.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Linesub 610b.png
    Linesub 610b.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.