AST30130 & Deltalite 2512???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am new to DIY - recently got my feet wet with a Subwoofer build for my HT... This worked out well, and "I would like to take on the challenge of designing a speaker...

This idea is inspired by a 2 way build with the Beyma TPL-150h and Acoustic Elegance TD12m that I fell in love with, but sadly those drivers are a little too costly for me... Looking into lower cost alternatives led me to the AST30130 and Deltalite 2512.
I considered using the smaller 10" version for a better directivity match, but with drivers this large, I'm not sure it would make much of a difference.

My goal is to come up with a fairly efficient speaker that can handle HT abuse while having the unique sound of an AST Tweeter - in a budget friendly way as I plan on building 5 identical speakers!

I am open to any and all suggestions, including different driver pairings...
Like I said, I am new to this and may be way off base with the driver selection...

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide!

I use the Deltalite 2512 in a two way with a CD horn above 700 hz. If the AST (Heil AMT clone) can genuinely play that low, you have a good match.

I would recommend including a single capacitor in series with the AST, just as a precaution against DC on the HF driver.

I do not recommend crossing the 2512 much higher, as it starts to SHOUT when the beaming effect begins.

You'll need a BIG box to get the most from the 2512.

3.65 cubic feet, if vented.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hello, I know this is rough, just trying to get an idea of what I could expect with these drivers....
Any suggestions are more then welcome! :D

This is my first ever attempt at a passive XO design...

Attachments

• AST30130_v2_FR.jpg
    AST30130_v2_FR.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 163
  • AST30130_v2_Imp.jpg
    AST30130_v2_Imp.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 157
  • AST30130_v2_XO.jpg
    AST30130_v2_XO.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 150
Placing the two Deltalite in Series?
This will present a low impedance load to your amp, and have the woofers running at different frequencies.

That is, if I'm reading the schematic correctly. I'm unfamiliar with this approach. Why was it chosen?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It was chosen as I didn't know any better.... this is my first attempt at a speaker design...
I didn't think the low impedance would be a problem for me though, my amps are stable down through 2ohm...
Sadly, this has been scrapped - I cant get the directivity to work out without dropping in a smaller driver for a mid and that's not quite what I was hoping for...

Im working on a redesign...

Thanks for your input!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.