Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

135Hz Segmented Horn Midbass Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2016, 03:56 PM   #1
JShadzi is online now JShadzi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 135Hz Segmented Horn Midbass Build

I have decided recently to build a full horn speaker pair, likely 3 or 4 way. As of current I have a pair of Seos24 horns to play with and I'll be using those with the Radian 1.4" 745PB CD, I will test this combo in the 600-18khz range initially to see how it sounds and how flat I can EQ it. If I don't like the top end then I may add a CD or other tweeter above it, but more on that later.

What a beast!

Click the image to open in full size.

I am also considering building some 18" JBL 40hz horns as well for the bottom end, we'll see.

I got some plans from John Inlow (he's been really great to work with!) for a 135hz horn that uses the B&C 12" 12PE32 midbass, I had to wrap my brain about how to build this thing and finally found a way to do it that I was comfortable with. Note a 12" compound sliding miter saw is a huge help.

Since this is the first segmented horn I've built, I decided to build one prototype just to test some of my build techniques and also to see how it sounds and what the FR looks like. Again I only built one and this is by no means a final build, based on what I learned on this one I will be building 2 more with changes his weekend.

First I started with the compression chamber, the driver sits in about 1-2 liters of airspace, crazy I know!

I started by ripping a piece of 5.5" wide stock with a 22degree angle on each side, basically a parallelogram. Then this piece goes in the chop saw, miter set to 22.5 degrees, I found if I can prop this piece up on the 22d angle then I can make the 22.5d cut and it automatically sets up the compound angle as well, which is around 43d

By setting up a stop you ensure each piece is identically long, just flip the piece top to bottom with each cut and you only need 8. I can literally build an octagonal box up to 5.5" tall in a matter of minutes now.

I thought about how the hell to clamp these things and then I wondered if I could just tape them together...wala!

Unfolded, just run a bead of glue down each crotch face, wrap it up and tape. I put a flat board on top with some weight on it on a flat surface just to keep it totally square. Using the miter saw its easy to cut the top "cap piece" out as well. I also did a flat octagonal flange which I glued to the bottom of the chamber as a mounting flange.

Now for the fun part, the actual horn! This is what I did on this first piece below, I will be making my final horns using a different technique (similar result) that is faster, easier and gives a little nicer result. Basically I'll make sections with the miter saw using the compound angle feature, since the saw can cut up to 13" wide I can just build each horn in segments.

First I traced out my sections and rough cut oversized versions. Then I made a template with some 1/2" plywood, I used this template to router flush cut each piece so they are all identical. Identical pieces are the key to making these horns!

Bottom flare

Top flare

Flush cutting the pieces

Then since I had already cut the primary angle, I just needed to cut the compound angle which I did with the table saw, about 41d for the lower flare and 43 for the upper

And boom!

I'm skipping a few steps but here is basically where things ended up

Hornresp modeled response

Actual response, not bad!

I am still breaking it in but wow is this efficient! Midbass is very fast and impactful like nothing I've ever heard, for fun I temporarily threw a DE250 and Seos12 in the mix and threw a 6db cap on it, not too bad! This is definitely a very lovable setup even w/o a sub, granted this is all hair left channel listening so far =)

More to come soon, let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Javad
Old 19th September 2016, 04:29 PM   #2
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Very very nice work Javad. Keep the pix coming as you progress.
Old 19th September 2016, 08:40 PM   #3
JShadzi is online now JShadzi  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks @djn, will do!
Old 19th September 2016, 11:14 PM   #4
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

excellent!!!
Old 19th September 2016, 11:35 PM   #5
pcgab is online now pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

I built a pair of John's 135hz mid-bass horns with the 8pe21's. They're so damn awesome, I had them in my living room, half painted for over a year.

for the compression chamber I built them basically the same way you did, but used biscuits the second time I made them, and used pocket screws on the interior to mount them to the baffles:

A few pictures here too:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

It's a great design and I bet you will love it. It looks like you are well on your way to making a great pair of horns.

Cheers!
Old 19th September 2016, 11:40 PM   #6
LewinskiH01 is offline LewinskiH01  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Definitely subscribed! ��

I thought Inlow's 135Hz horn used the 8" driver instead of the 12"?

BTW, why did you choose the 135Hz horn instead of the 100Hz? Just trying to understand your thought process.

Nice build as usual from you!
Old 20th September 2016, 12:33 AM   #7
fmena is offline fmena  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very cool stuff indeed!! Please keep the pics coming.

I have often thought about building a pair of the 135hz horns but the "audio" room
(i.e. basement in a very old house) is only 14'w x 18'l x7'h & I don't think I would have the extra space to add a tapped horn for 50-150hz duty. How big is your dedicated room?

Just wondering ... are you going use minidsp or something along similar lines for subwoofer integration below the 135hz horns?
Old 20th September 2016, 06:17 AM   #8
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

that's a gorgeous build and nice graph - - do any of you horn guys think a 0.7 or so scale University Classic with 12pe32 would make it up to around 500? I should put my 12pe32 in my RCA-Fan derived horn to see if it will reach higher than a Community 12. RCA-Fan says "no" - that it will only tilt response upwards.
Old 20th September 2016, 06:22 AM   #9
dave123 is offline dave123
diyAudio Member

Nice Job Javad ;-) subscribed
Old 20th September 2016, 10:51 AM   #10
frangus is offline frangus  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nice build. Is there a secondary flair on the horn?

My Beyma 12p80ND has similar specs to this driver. Hmmm...

135Hz Segmented Horn Midbass BuildHide this!Advertise here!