box dimention calculators - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2004, 11:48 AM   #11
dumrum is offline dumrum  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash

There are many irregular ratios that you can use to spread out the standing waves. A glance at the standing waves for an enclosure based on the above ratio shows that there are no similar frequencies being excited in more than one dimension. This is typically what you're looking for.
Hi,
I am a relatively new DIY er and am working on my first Floorstander speaker design.
I am confised on the Dimension ration I have been seeing all around.
I tried out the calculator mentioned in your post. But I am unable to figure our how to interpret the results ..whether they are good or bad.
Kindly let me know how I can use this tool.
And in addition, I am posting my dimension results from the calculator below:
Could you let me know if the dimensions are ok? This is for a 8inch driver.
H= 1041mm W = 254mm D= 305mm
Results:
Height Width Depth
165 Hz 675 Hz 564 Hz_
329 Hz 1.35 KHz 1.13 KHz_
494 Hz 2.03 KHz 1.69 KHz_
659 Hz 2.70 KHz 2.26 KHz_
824 Hz 3.38 KHz 2.82 KHz_
988 Hz 4.05 KHz 3.38 KHz_
1.15 KHz 4.73 KHz 3.95 KHz_
1.32 KHz 5.40 KHz 4.51 KHz_

Thansk in advance for your help.
Regards,
Linoj.
Old 24th March 2004, 11:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash

There are many irregular ratios that you can use to spread out the standing waves. A glance at the standing waves for an enclosure based on the above ratio shows that there are no similar frequencies being excited in more than one dimension. This is typically what you're looking for.
Hi,
I am a relatively new DIY er and am working on my first Floorstander speaker design.
I am confised on the Dimension ration I have been seeing all around.
I tried out the calculator mentioned in your post. But I am unable to figure our how to interpret the results ..whether they are good or bad.
Kindly let me know how I can use this tool.
And in addition, I am posting my dimension results from the calculator below:
Could you let me know if the dimensions are ok? This is for a 8inch driver.
H= 1041mm W = 254mm D= 305mm
Results:
Height Width Depth
165 Hz 675 Hz 564 Hz_
329 Hz 1.35 KHz 1.13 KHz_
494 Hz 2.03 KHz 1.69 KHz_
659 Hz 2.70 KHz 2.26 KHz_
824 Hz 3.38 KHz 2.82 KHz_
988 Hz 4.05 KHz 3.38 KHz_
1.15 KHz 4.73 KHz 3.95 KHz_
1.32 KHz 5.40 KHz 4.51 KHz_

Thansk in advance for your help.
Regards,
Linoj.
Old 24th March 2004, 12:38 PM   #13
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But I am unable to figure our how to interpret the results ..whether they are good or bad.
You want to make sure none of the numbers are the same (or close) and if they are, then it's better that the clashing modes are of a higer order.

i.e width mode 5 and depth mode 6 are similar, but higher modes are attenuated and in this instance it probably isn't something to worry about. Stuffing the enclosure appropriately will attenuate them further as well.

Your bracing strategy will also alter/break up standing waves, so I woudn't put too much weight on that calculator alone. You dimensions seem acceptble to me at the lower modes, which is what's important I think.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 25th March 2004, 12:58 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thank you for validating...
Now I have a second question on the basic construction of the enclosure.
As posted earlier, my box dimensions are 42.5X11.5X13.5( HXWXD) inches
My doubt here is how the corners of the box should be joined. I read somewhere that the corners can be cut at 45 degree angle and pasted and Nailed.
The other joint was kind of inter tangled between the joining edges.COuld anyone tell me how the correct box corner joints shud be made.

And the next question if of more importance:
For the front and Back baffle, how should it be fixed. Should it be fixed such that it lies ON all four edges , or should it be fixed within the 4 edges
Old 29th March 2004, 12:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Assuming the published specs are ~accurate, I believe you will find this golden ratio alignment better suited to PA apps.:

Vb = ~56.689L

Fb = ~31.5Hz

L = ~62.23cm

w = ~38.46cm

d = ~23.75cm

vent = 7.62cm dia. x 15.25cm long.
GM

GM the vent diameter for this box is an odd size. Is their a vent calculator that I could use that could recalculate the length of the vent above for different diameters? eg for 8 or 10 cm pipes

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
You are aware that the sim is half space and that any speaker will need 3-6dB of baffle step compensation, right?
GM [/B]
No I didnt realize. what does this mean?

I think I need to do some serious reading. Any good books that you would suggest to get me up to speed with this would be good. I find that many of the discussions in the forum are a level above my understanding at the moment.

thanks again

Hide this!Advertise here!