Small and LOUD! iPhone size and LOUD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrisB....excellent stuff! I sincerely like that driver.

I'm sorry gents, but the full application details are something I cannot provide.

I didn't realize that would be that big of a stumbling block. Regardless you all have some good suggestions, I appreciate it.

Chrisb: what amp would you recommend for driving just one of those? Line level (here comes a swarm of corrections and rants on what LL is from the gang...) is that of a typical MP3 player. Power supply not spec'd yet.

Thanks gang

chrisB....excellent stuff! I sincerely like that driver.

I'm sorry gents, but the full application details are something I cannot provide.

I didn't realize that would be that big of a stumbling block. Regardless you all have some good suggestions, I appreciate it.

Chrisb: what amp would you recommend for driving just one of those? Line level (here comes a swarm of corrections and rants on what LL is from the gang...) is that of a typical MP3 player. Power supply not spec'd yet.

Thanks gang

The application details are primarily what you can provide.

Ie home use , mines bigger than yours, school project etc,etc or business adventure.

It is you that chooses not to disclose, therefore any help forthcoming is going to be very limited.

Very knowledgeable people give freely their time resources research and advice, I sure do appreciate what is on offer here.

I am guessing you want something like an external speaker for your iphone. Small, portable, and increases the volume (loudness). This is about as small as you can find that does that. I have a few of them and keep some for cheap gifts. Recipients are always impressed, as they arent caring about aound quality much or the full spectrum. Plus how this uses induction is kind of cool
Parts Express Inductive Coupling Powered Wireless Speaker for iPhone, iPod, Smartphones, and MP3 Players

Can find them for cheaper some other places but i dont like the logos printed on those others

Hello,

I need a speaker system that is as small as an iphone's (or android, etc etc). Can anybody point me to a good source? Rather not DIY, but open to anything at this point.

TIA!

Another thing i would like to point out, is it seems you have searched for and still have yet to find a commercial speaker system that fits your wants and requirements. That is because it is not possible.

As others have stated, you need to be more specific in describing what you want and your planned project. Only after that can anyone help guide you or give you definite answers. But it seems to me that you wont find what you expected; and that you are either unsure of what size contraints, etc you will have because you dont know of your project being possible, or you are unwilling to tell because you think you can make a product that doesnt exist yet to earn money. Just be upfront about whats in your mind and these people will help you to the best of their abilities

you think you can make a product that doesnt exist yet to earn money.

I hate people that try to make new things to make money! ;)

To anybody following this I think it is very, very clear I am not in the audio biz and - no big surprise - am not trying to make new audio equipment.

Lots of great tips here, being reminded of physics is always good ;)

Sorry that I cannot disclose any more than I have, but literally the spec is pretty wide open. The main goal is, wait for it....

I need something that is as loud as the tiny iphone speakers at about the same size.

Turns out maybe I do have to buy tiny iphone speakers (spare parts sites, like this iPhone 6 Plus Bottom Loud Speaker - CTC Retailer ). Maybe I do have to back-out what kind of amp I need for those. Anybody have a link to an amp that wold be compatible with 2 of those little speakers?

Sincere thanks

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Step one, filter out all bass.. turn it up.. put it on a table right in the corner of the room to increase the pressure.

These things can't really move air so they rely on tricks to get loud (consider the dimensions of these drivers, our ears, the room..) They focus on a narrow portion of the spectrum and use resonance to get loud there. They may also add distortion that builds at the frequencies we are most sensitive, although these are also where many of us prefer clean output.

This will be a matter of being creative.

As for the amp, I'm guessing a PAM8403, 8406 or 8610 module will be plenty...

I was totally going to say those modules. HA! Thank you sir, you are a Steely-Eyed Missile Man.

Hopefully this thing will come together.

My acoustics is terrible, but my computational fluid dynamics simulations are tight. Unfortunately all solvers for CFD do not cross over to Lab Time-Domain Boundary Element Method (TDBEM) for simulating acoustics. But CFD is damn good at nailing convective, conductive, and radiative heat transfer for optimizing heat sink, enclosures, etc.

There. Now I feel smart-ish ;)

Thanks guys!

A lot of the current research into speakers is in the phone speaker space, for example high-tech fillers to increase the apparent volume of the "enclosures", and band-pass design to maximise output. They also require careful driving and strict filtering, they're normally driven within an inch of melting down.

Now, when you say "speakers the size of an iPhone", do you mean that the drivers need to be the size of the ones in an iPhone, or the whole speaker has to be the size of an iPhone? And does it have to be flat or can it be some other shape? For example, if it doesn't have to be flat the 2-inch cube Music Angel speakers mentioned earlier would fit your requirements. They go very loud and have a surprisingly good bass response. (But get the genuine ones, there are many fakes out there that don't work as well. There's a Youtube video that shows how to tell the difference.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.