I Want to Build Speakers - Am I Crazy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What do you mean by brute force to get the cabinet quiet? In terms of thickness or binding the layers?

The plies in plywood are what give it its rigidity (more plies ar eusually better), meant to be used perpendicular to the direction you do not want the cabinet walls to move. You are throwing this away with translam by rotating the orientation. Your cabinet may need 30-50mm thick walls to get the equivalent rigidity of say a braced cabinet we build with 15mm ply. In a translam you will also see people put braces into a CNCed slice. This is not very effective. Braces should be cut separately and be oriented perpendicular to the slices.

dave

You are welcome.

I hope you followed the link on that page thru to Selah Audio's website ,

Check out Kits on the Selah site while you are there ;-). No, I'm not a salesman for them so I'm not saying they have good prices, etc.

Enjoy.

Grant.

Wow, cool site! I've never heard of this company. The speakers seem to be terrific bargains -they do not appear to be much more than the cost of the individual drivers. His cabinets are lovely. Thanks for the link.

Interesting review of Selah's two-way: SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com - SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com

I currently have terrific Raidho D1 monitors electronically crossed over to a single JL f113. ...

The great speakers I've loved are Rockport Atrias, YG Anat, TAD CR1, MBLs, any Raidho, and Nola. I liked the older wood body Magicos but have been underwhelmed by their metal body speakers.

Wait... he want to best his Raidhos??? I wonder anyone advising here has heard them... They are in a class above what Scanspeak can manage AND have the most open sound coming from such a tiny package i have ever heard. I chatted with the designer as an diy enthusiast and he only said one thing, vibration control.

I don't think any DIY design can best the Raidho D1s in all aspects (except bass simply because the D1 is a tiny bokoshelf speaker) with conventional home audio drivers and sophisticated carpentry.

Wait... he want to best his Raidhos??? I wonder anyone advising here has heard them... They are in a class above what Scanspeak can manage AND have the most open sound coming from such a tiny package i have ever heard. I chatted with the designer as an diy enthusiast and he only said one thing, vibration control.

I don't think any DIY design can best the Raidho D1s in all aspects (except bass simply because the D1 is a tiny bokoshelf speaker) with conventional home audio drivers and sophisticated carpentry.

Exactly, that's my challenge! I don't think I'll ever top the D1's, but I do want to try my hand at building speakers. The D1's will make a terrific reference for comparison. I'm looking forward to the shoot out.

Perhaps a three way with a Raal ribbon and DEQX DSP electronic crossover will give the D1/JL combo a run for the money...

never underestimate the power of DIY.
mainstream will not likely match drivers out of batches.
if we talk extremes, that is.
and mainstream will not measure the room gai of YOUR listening room and account that in a design. nor will they care about your persona taste.
many things are subjective, and anatomy wise humans differ.
speakers suited for a single person specifically, do not exsist in factory made productions.
the subjective side of things makes my sentence true.
most diy speakres cn actually surprass by far what money can buy pre-made.

With DIY, you can tailor the result for your speaker/room combo... That's a big plus in my book. Don't forget the room, placement and the available positions etc...

Your room will play a big part in the end result, take it into account in your speaker plans.

There is a lot of info on this site, but the biggest job is to find your own truth in it all. Surpassing Raidho's is quite the goal, I like it! A real challenge ;).

Are you crazy to want to build speakers? I think many of us could argue that either way. You won't save money doing it yourself, but it can be fun if you like challenges and learning. I've been building speakers since I was in 7th grade (1967) as a hobbyist. My electronic career got me in with many top EE's at Tektronix and Dolby Labs where I picked their brains on audio engineering. It's still essentially an addiction. My advice and many projects can be viewed at my website:

Bob's Website

You don't even need a high-end mic, even some of the <$100 measurement mics will do fine (and measure more consistently than you'll get from even changing mic or speaker positions a few inches). I'd say you don't need DEQX, either, I don't see anything I'd want that the miniDSP 2x4HD and RePhase can't do, but who knows maybe DEQX has some hidden magic somehow.

I've used the DEQX and miniDSP and both do a great job. The DEQX is fairly automated and includes a measurement system so it's more user-friendly.

Hi Ronald! Yes, I'm going to go with this two-way kit from Madisound:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...a-2-way-klang-ton-kit-pair-using-illuminator/

It comes with top-line ScanSpeak drivers, their beryllium tweeter and a 7" Illuminator woofer. The crossover looks fairly impressive. This seems like a good place to start. The spec calls for a .95 cubic foot sealed box which I will do with my very rigid translam design.

I'm going to mount the crossover externally, the binding posts on the speakers will go directly to the drivers. My long-term plan is to get a DEQX HDP5 DAC/preamp with electronic crossover, phase correction, and room correction and bi amp the speakers directly. The DEQX will give me the ability to really fine tune multiple parameters. If that works as planned, I want to build a bass cabinet, I'm thinking dual 10" woofers, and electronically crossover and tri amp the whole stack. That's my ultimate goal, but I want to start with a premium two-way and this kit seems like a good place to start.

Thanks for the positive feedback anji. Yes, the DEQX does full room correction and addresses bass nodes about as much as possible from what I've read. It's a pretty extraordinary device, I've researched it extensively. The preamp and DAC are said to be excellent, the room correction and particularly phase correction are very powerful, and the three way electronic crossover is incredibly flexible. I plan on getting the HDP5 for my regular system as an upgrade to my DAC and crossover and to better set the phase relationship between my mains and sub. Having it to use for my home brew speakers is the icing on the cake.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.