Driver suggestions for 4" Bookshelf rebuild

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I have a DIY 5.1 setup currently powered by a DIY LM3886 amp.

Speakers specs:

Box size : H 11.5" X D 6.5" X W 6.5" Sealed. Roughly translates into 0.137 Ft3 if I am not mistaken.

MDF Thickness : 0.75". Screwed, not glued so there must be some leakage.
Cut outs : 4" for LF and 2" for HF.

Crossovers : 2 capacitors, 2 conductors (forgot the exact configuration but AFAIK was designed as 8 ohm).

Can experiment with the crossover with the existing components. Would prefer to simply the design this time, maybe 1st order.

Current drivers are from some unknown brands.

Issues with the current speakers:
They have very low sensitivity, if any other speaker is plugged onto the amp, it sound twice or thrice more powerful than those speakers.

Replacement drivers I am looking at are as followed:

Tweeters:

Dayton Audio ND25FA-4

Dayton Audio - ND25FW-4

Low Freq Drivers:

Dayton Audio - RS100P-8 4"

Dayton Audio - ND105-8 4" Aluminum Cone

Peerless Fabrikkerne (I) Ltd - 4" Coated Paper Cone

Above are available at online store in my country so will be easy for me to procure.

Future usage plans for the speakers: Currently looking to revive one pair. If they go well then I am considering to play them as stereo using one existing 2.1 amp which has 5W per channel. Is it viable thinking?

Another plan is to use them as rear surround in my setup where I am planning to upgrade front stage with either some branded speakers like Wharfedale Diamond 220/225 or Boston Acoustics A26. Yet to decided which one will be better, suggestions welcome here as well. Couldn't manage to listen either of these, though have auditioned Dali Zensor and Q Acoustics 2020i and found them okay but not what I was looking for.

If the above rebuild project goes well then I also plan to upgrade center channel (which has got much bigger box and has additional cutout for 8" driver) using the same drivers and expecting it should match with the Wharfedales or Bostons I am looking at.

Last edited:
Here are two options of the crossovers I m looking at:

Screenshot from 2016-09-04 01-07-27.png

My worries are some wired spikes and falls just after 3k khz in the woofer driver which would create some issues:

ND105-8.png

Tweeter seems to be balanced but not sure if it can survive if I cross it at 2.5 khz::

ND25FA-4.png

'I should consider the measured impedance?' - just look at the manufacturer's data sheet,
there should be an impedance plot underneath the frequency response graph

'built xovers by measuring the impedance using multi-meter and it worked' - well, of course the speaker will make noise, but the crossover won't be optimal

Got 4" Peerless driver (8 ohm) and Dayton Tweeter (6 ohm).

Experimented with existing crossover components and combination of two same value inductors in series and two different value capacitors for tweeters somehow achieved sweet spot . Using the pair as surrounds and bought three Boston A26 for fronts.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.