Does beer affect your ears?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For that matter what about other drugs?

I'm actually asking a serious question here.

Is there a correlation between the chosen drug(s) and the eustachian tube in your ear that has ever been documented?

I have always found the music sweeter when I've had a couple of brewskis.

I also live in BC where when you're at a party, you can't help but get a bit of a buzz from the bud, just from being in the room.

Is this simply a psych. thing? ie: You are in a good mood so the music sounds better?

This has cause problems in my aural speaker testing in the past.

I can only imagine where this one might go.

Cheers,
Cal

Alcohol affects the sensor cells in inner ear, they are intoxicated. You get much less sensitive for high SPL with amount of alc. in your body. Normal reaktion starting at about 90dB is fear, hartbeat climbs. Next is feeling some pain at few dB more. This will have some significant dB offset with the alcohol. Abuse of alc+to much SPL results in permanent hear damage faster than only SPL, because you won´t go away or turn down the volume so fast las without alcohol. (no natural degenerative feedback anymore...)

till said:
Abuse of alc+to much SPL results in permanent hear damage faster than only SPL, because you won´t go away or turn down the volume so fast las without alcohol. (no natural degenerative feedback anymore...)

So that's why Pete Townshend is nearly deaf. Too many nights with the HiWatt at eleven and the whisky?

dooper

till said:
Alcohol affects the sensor cells in inner ear, they are intoxicated. You get much less sensitive for high SPL with amount of alc. in your body. Normal reaktion starting at about 90dB is fear, hartbeat climbs. Next is feeling some pain at few dB more. This will have some significant dB offset with the alcohol. Abuse of alc+to much SPL results in permanent hear damage faster than only SPL, because you won´t go away or turn down the volume so fast las without alcohol. (no natural degenerative feedback anymore...)

Indeed, loud music on the car audio system is one of the thing police pay attention to when on the lookout for DIYs. They got me that way, once. I don't think music sounds better with alcohol but it does with psychs.

Well, if it can effect your eyesight surely it could affect your hearing

I will never forget the first time I woke up in the morning with a woman that didn't look nearly as good as she had the night before when I took her home _heh heh_

I know that sometimes, people don't look very good early in the morning by comparison to the night before

Even so, it's a long way from _she's looking pretty good_ to _I'm not believing I did that_

So I kinda figure that if it can affect your eyesight surely it would affect your hearing _guilty grin_

Regards

Ken L

OK, like, I asked a question earlier, hic, but I can't remember what is was, eh?
and besides I'm getting really sleepy so...

I really like this forum. You characters could fill an album. I am showing my brother and neice your responses. They have no interest in speakers, just the responses to this one.

The only reason I thought about this was, I've had a couple 'o' beer with a buddy who's going on vacation, we're having them early on a Friday. We're down in the carport and after the beer, the system sounded better, and by gosh if we didn't want to turn it up a bit like we always seem to do after beer.

Hence my original question about the ear. Does the ear things differently or does the brain just say aaahhh...this is good because of the beer?

Cal

Cal Weldon said:
Hence my original question about the ear. Does the ear things differently or does the brain just say aaahhh...this is good because of the beer?

I think both brain and beer are playing a role so does your mood...

Wednesday I had people coming to my place.... We had beer, we had music too. Probably my brain was less sensible/accurate or anything as it is for the vision but once drunk, the things you enjoy normally are enhanced and you are less attentive. Aren't we attentive because of the beer or because of the brain ? Beer cause the brain to be less attentive and thats it, and I love you too by the way... When you have a beer you usually have this sensation of loving everything or simply not. And who cares if there is a little harshness on the mids, I love it...we come to a point where we enjoy everything, everybody, everywhere. Sences fail.

Bill Fitzpatrick said:
I don't think music sounds better with alcohol but it does with psychs.

Cal Weldon said:

Cal

A quote come to mind here.

"A bartender is a pharmacist with a limited inventory."

Point is that potable ethanol solutions are mind-altering substances, just like the psychs that Bill mentioned. Different folks react in different ways, but I'd suggest that sobriety is the way to go when it comes to critical listening, such as when evaluating a new project.

Ever hear the story about the young man who went to the audiologist and learned that he had no hearing above 5 KHz? His reply, as the story goes: "Whoa that's a relief - I thought I blew my tweeters!"

dooper

dooper said:

Ever hear the story about the young man who went to the audiologist and learned that he had no hearing above 5 KHz? His reply, as the story goes: "Whoa that's a relief - I thought I blew my tweeters!"

dooper

:D Good One!

I will agree on beer, alcohol in general leaves you in
a kinda Zombie Mode.

I remember in my late teens, I used to party to the
point of not knowing how I got home, much less
waking up in my bed.

There were times that I used to come home from
parties, and, crank my stereo at volume 11. (God
Bless My Neighbors For Understanding) Never
could understand why it never sounded loud
when the amplifiers clip lights were lit like the
power indicator.

Fortunatley, my drinking days are over, but not
my partying!!!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.