10" woof plus single capped morel cat378

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Np, thanks to fred.
He bought the morel and yapped about it.
I've been too chicken.
I have the treble control now at -2.

So ideally, morel would want a little ohmage then a diff value cap (to me).

A slick option would be 2 sb acoustic 6.5" in mtm, their 86db would pair up to 92, matching the morel.
Those have shorting rings and flat impedance. That could easy 6db filter into morel and some woofers.

Overall, i'm pretty impressed.

Don't know what to do next.
Could do a massive mttm (skeptical), could build 1 or 2 more for stereo/home theater, or figure out how to add some tactile bass.

Cool.

I'm thinking tactile midbass is not really real.

I've been at loud stuff.
Still it didn't beat me up like some 15's in a room.

Time to move on to a new project.

Remember, the b102 plus cat378 is a special and simple setup.
Not cheap, but works well.

Last edited:
With the double tuning, a dbr should prevent cone excursion.

But, there will be severe phase wraps through those tunings.
Full range driver fans or bass guitar players, it would probably be objectionable.

I believe 200hz cross over point is enough to keep voice together.
No way the small driver would work for you, not dynamic nor cone area.

But then bass guitar / drums can sound off.

Bass guitar, to catch the strong harmonics, I'd assume 100hz crossover point would work, but then i'd want at least a 15 to get down to 100hz with pounding bass authority.

The fostex is a good idea.
I know 45 degrees off axis 7' away, i think i need a smaller driver.

On axis 10' though, awesome !!!!

I was looking at the 6.5" peerless with copper cap (easy crossover), as a tmm or mtm (keeping the b102).
Then i was closely looking at the mtm apollo (horn loaded dome wavecore with 2 x denovo audio anarchy 6.5's) on diysoundgroup, tempest was an earlier option.
Someone said apollo was a step up in detail compared to the tempest.
But i bought something else........

Norman

Last edited:
I think so, 55L tuned at 49hz (I'm lazy and assume driver qts = .4).

4th order ported, since qts around .4, vb = vas and tune to Fs (-3db at 49hz).

My b102 is in 1.4ft3 tuned to 40hz, doesn't quite work, so i stuff the port and have it in a sealed box bigger than qtc .707
It sits on floor under tv.
Sometimes i shut the sub off (like now), listening to stevie knicks greatest hits right now.
I run the sub crossed 100hz maybe 18db, b102 wide open.

My buddy said i should have tuned way higher than fs because of the smaller than ideal box, oh well, box was easily acquired at a car audio shop, installed that day, and I've listened it every day for over 6 months (that's unheard of for me).

If i wasn't 7' away sitting 45 degrees off axis, I'd be experimenting with more b102's (I'm a bass head), or have 3 across the front for movies.

I'll be selling 3 b102s (2 brand new) for cheap on swapmeet sunday night / monday morning.

I love the cat378 also, far better than any horn with corners or non smooth paths.
6db crossed, it is rugged !!!

Very special setup.

Last edited:
Gérard Chrétien's 9'+ single cap

When speaking about 10' woofer + crossing to a single capped tweeter, which is an simple and elegant well known solution, it reminds me an article in the old days written by Gérard Chrétien in Audiophile n°36, autumn 1985. It was five years before he founded Focal. The title is Une grande soeur pour la petite Audiophile.

Long story short, it is about a DIY proposal by Chrétien: 21W54 and d28 dynaudio, crossed to a single cap, with a detailed explanation why only single cap, in a 31 liter enclosure filled with sand. This second point is important, and this kind of enclosure will remain in Chrétien's philosophy in his state-of-the art Focal loudspeakers, sometimes in different manner, but basically the same. Third, his use dynaudio's variovent, and Chrétien's opinion that " Our big surprise was that the application of Variovent is not only in the area of low frequency, as usually for the vent, but also have a role in decompression between 200 and 2000 Hz."
Btw, I tried the single cap solution with the same configuration, but no sand in the enclosure, and it really worked better than my active Behringer configuration.

have a nice day,
Milos

N.B. in attachment you have only excerpts of the article, for educational use, so it is "fair use", by Berne Convention

Attachments

• Chrétien1.png
    Chrétien1.png
    352.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Chrétien2.png
    Chrétien2.png
    558.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Chrétien3.png
    Chrétien3.png
    602.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Chrétien4.png
    Chrétien4.png
    324.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Chrétien5.png
    Chrétien5.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 1 users
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.