Audiophile Insects in Speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently dismantled a pair of vintage Martin sealed (!) speakers.
Wolly material inside was infested with dead insects.
Insect exoskeletons would also stick to drivers most intimate parts.
They were immediately trashed due to negative WAF...

Now I am in the process of building vented Bagby's Tangos.
Would it be wise to somehow protect the back vent from potential insect (or worse) colonization?
Any suggestions?

Jacques

P.S. Playing them very loud 24/7 in not an option :D.

The bug eggs were already in the wool.

Martin was very careless by not sterilizing the wool before packing it in the cabinet.

I doubt you will use wool in your future cbinets and bug larvae can´t eat polyester fiber or fiberglass, which are the *only* materials you should ever use.

If you have nothing better ..... but synthetic or mineral is safer.
I´d spray a couple quick bursts of some good insecticide inside and pack the cabinet inside a large garbage bag to ensure that you have deadly vapour inside for a couple days at last.

Your big problem are not live insects but eggs, which are quite hard to kill.

It's well-known that class D amplifiers can effectively act as insect repellent, UNLESS said class D amplifier were broke-in for 500 hours. I'd recommend any new class D amplifier, but matched with a Shunyata power cable, which is also a proven insect repellent.

FYI: there is no audiophile insects, that's a myth.

I had some audiophile friends over, we had been discussing removing the bug screens from my JBL 2420's, when we saw an Asian beetle (one of those orange "ladybugs" farmers imported for pest control) crawling up the horn toward the driver. In spite of the system playing quite loudly.

Bug screens stayed on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.