Increasing cabinet volume ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I am building the Audax 3 way Center channel. i plan on keeping driver placement as planned but want ot make it slightly wider and deeper. It is a ported enclosure and plans can be viewed at madisound.

Anyway as i planned it the internal volume will increase by 25%. Will this be ok? I don't understand well how volume effects ported enclusoures

thanks for any advice

I don't think that's a good idea. Increasing the volume of any enclosure by that large an amount is going to have negative results unless you've determined through modeling and crossover testing it'll be an improvement. A slight change in enclosure volume may not hurt. A large increase changes tuning point of the box and provides less back pressure for the woofer. This can cause unwanted peaks and dips, not only in the lower frequencies but possibly in the mid-range too. You may also get less LF output which may be the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish.

You could make the internal volume less than the outside dimensions of the box. Make the outside of the box large enough to serve as a base for you TV, but make the inside of the box the correct size to tune the enclosure.

Some like to sand fill hollow walls to reduce panel vibration. You could do this and get a better cabinet.

JMO but the advice so far is way too cautious.

IMO it will be absolutely fine.

The pink plot shows my estimation using the supplied ports.

If you want to retune the ports, for a plain cylindrical port
reduce its length by 20%, i.e. multiply length by x 0.8.
(i.e. reduce the port lengths by 1")

This will give near the original tuning frequency with
slightly greater bass extension than the original.

:) sreten.

Attachments

• centre.gif
    centre.gif
    56.1 KB · Views: 173
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.