What capacity would you chose?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody
actually we are gonna order some capacitors from a vendor and there is a minimum order so we have to chose which capacity we need but as you know the caps capacity if something to be seen while designing a new speaker so we can't predict which one will be more in use but some caps like 2.2uf and 3.3uf, etc... are more usable in XOvers. I wanted to ask you guys. what would you order if you have to chose between following range? suppose we have to take 2000-3000 pieces.

all in micro farad:

In general, avoid capacitors less than 2.2nF or greater than 470nF. As noted above, low values become susceptible to stray capacitance and high values may cause excessive opamp loading. Likewise, resistors values should be between 2.2k and 22k. Lower values can be used if the opamps can drive low impedances with minimal distortion (e.g. NE5532, OPA2134, LM4562, etc.). If you use TL072 opamps, keep resistor values above 2.2k, and remember that you'll need to include a muting circuit to prevent 'chirps' when power is removed.

Source:
Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover

That's a tough one. You could stack a bunch of 2.2uF in parallel to get larger values. Of course 10 will only get you 22uF. Most 3 ways will require more than that and some tweeters maybe less than 2.2uF.

As you know smaller caps can dial in a values better but more are required for larger values.

Do you know if this new speaker will be a 2-way or 3-way or don't know? Maybe 6.8uF. Split the difference

Last edited:
That's a tough one. You could stack a bunch of 2.2uF in parallel to get larger values. Of course 10 will only get you 22uF. Most 3 ways will require more than that and some tweeters maybe less than 2.2uF.

As you know smaller caps can dial in a values better but more are required for larger values.

Do you know if this new speaker will be a 2-way or 3-way or don't know? Maybe 6.8uF. Split the difference

2-waya and 3-way with different configurations like horns and direct radiating you name it.

Wow, tough....in that case maybe 6.8uF to 10uF, equal amounts up and down but you might pay for it in internal cabinet volume. For horns the equalisation circuits can get tricky and you probably won't want to do 3 in series everywhere you need small values. On the flip side if you need a bunch of 50uF or larger same problem. I hope those caps are cheap.

I'm sure you know this already but I'd look for a different supplier/manufacturer before ordering. Sounds like these will be small quantity so you'll need a wider range of values than 1. If its a commercial product and quantities are high then the speaker should be designed first. If it's commercial and low volume then paying more per piece but having flexibility might be better.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi,

You can parallel capacitors so the obvious thing to do
is choose a logarithmic series of capacitor values.
Though I have to admit it seems a very stupid question,
why on earth would you be ordering thousands before
you have even started prototyping ? Makes no sense.

rgds, sreten.

Maybe I am not getting this right, but you need an assortement of capacitors to design a new speaker with a passive crossover?
Why don't you model the speakers and calculate the values needed and get these (some cheap ones will do to measure what's going on in real life). You will need inductors and resistors as well...

Dave,

Why do you need to order now? Finish your design. At least, fully measure your drivers in cabinets, and using XSim or equivalent, design some crossovers virtually to see what kind of values you end up with.

Also, what brand/type? Some, like Clarity MR really need bypass caps after 5uF, some don't. At the same time, many caps are sold entirely by capacitance. That is, x Dollars time y uF = final price. Clarity MR is capacitcance + $30

All these are important. If you are buying to resell, take a look at what vendors keep around.

Best,

Erik

Wow, tough....in that case maybe 6.8uF to 10uF, equal amounts up and down but you might pay for it in internal cabinet volume. For horns the equalisation circuits can get tricky and you probably won't want to do 3 in series everywhere you need small values. On the flip side if you need a bunch of 50uF or larger same problem. I hope those caps are cheap.

I'm sure you know this already but I'd look for a different supplier/manufacturer before ordering. Sounds like these will be small quantity so you'll need a wider range of values than 1. If its a commercial product and quantities are high then the speaker should be designed first. If it's commercial and low volume then paying more per piece but having flexibility might be better.

Good luck!

these are gonna be used in PA type of speaker. large speakers I mean so saving space is not counting in.
thanks for the idea

Hi,

You can parallel capacitors so the obvious thing to do
is choose a logarithmic series of capacitor values.
Though I have to admit it seems a very stupid question,
why on earth would you be ordering thousands before
you have even started prototyping ? Makes no sense.

rgds, sreten.

Hi
could you give an example of that logarithmic you told?
we want to design and build (manufacture is a better term) in various models so need well amount of caps when designing and so we can use them after that.

Maybe I am not getting this right, but you need an assortement of capacitors to design a new speaker with a passive crossover?
Why don't you model the speakers and calculate the values needed and get these (some cheap ones will do to measure what's going on in real life). You will need inductors and resistors as well...

because we want to develop several models during the time and we want to buy large quantities for a good discount.

Dave,

Why do you need to order now? Finish your design. At least, fully measure your drivers in cabinets, and using XSim or equivalent, design some crossovers virtually to see what kind of values you end up with.

Also, what brand/type? Some, like Clarity MR really need bypass caps after 5uF, some don't. At the same time, many caps are sold entirely by capacitance. That is, x Dollars time y uF = final price. Clarity MR is capacitcance + $30

All these are important. If you are buying to resell, take a look at what vendors keep around.

Best,

Erik

Dear Erik,

it's Jantzen Crosscaps. it's enough cheap and is very good-sounding though vast majority of our production is gonna be PA style loudspeaker but hi-fi speaker is also a part of the story so Crosscap is a good choice and the reapetability is also important for us as we use PCB for assembly.

tnx,

Volume savings is likely lost when you start paralleling caps. Probably less expensive to buy wholesale from PE until you figure out exactly what you need.

that would be no problem at all. our speakers are horn speaker with large cabinets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.