Is15 inch overkill for music?????experts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not quite - define accurate...;) A better way to say it would be adding mass will lower the efficiency of the driver, but will not limit high frequency extension. Depending upon how and where the mass is added, you may increase or decrease cone resonances (which would affect "accuracy"), change the bass alignment significantly (from low Q to extremely high Q), etc.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

by accurate I meant undistorted. That why I mentioned 'in theory...'.
Just because in real world cones of drivers are not perfect and show the break-up modes etc. that you mention if you go up in frequency. In that aria in the real world, distortion is equal or bigger than the original source signal, so unuseable.
In your first statement it may appear as a useable range, if amplified.

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Hmmm. The original spat started with me saying "the aceleration changes if increase mass" and someone resisting this point and saying "no it does not and cannot", pointing to your article and measurements. I find it fuynny that after thei we both agree - a change in acelleration can take place (let's leave the purported acoustic effects out of this, that is another book entierly).

If you feel that this has been a spat, that was certainly not my intent and I appoligize. I would call it a friendly debate. You originally stated that the so called aceleration factor, BL/mass, was a measure of fast (or slow) bass, which is not quite the same as saying "the aceleration (SPL) changes if (you) increase mass".

Russ

Konnichiwa,

russbryant said:
If you feel that this has been a spat, that was certainly not my intent and I appoligize. I would call it a friendly debate.

Sorry, spat was perhaps too strong a word, shall we call it friendly contentious debate?

russbryant said:
You originally stated that the so called aceleration factor, BL/mass, was a measure of fast (or slow) bass, which is not quite the same as saying "the aceleration (SPL) changes if (you) increase mass".

I stated that that what I conider the Mass/BL Ratio has an influence on the percieved "speed" on a driver, I think you are overstating my position quite a lot. And my point was that most Pro-Audio drivers tend to have a Mass/BL ratio that is more favourable (lower number result) than that of many HiFi Drivers.

And I retain that this is SONICALLY relevant, as it fits observations and is a "quality number" that stands independent from the drivers Qt (which also once subsumed into the system has influences on the observed result, as has the low frequency directivity of the resultant system).

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.