Any high quality active DSP speaker designs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here we go with good off-axis and good impulse.
But i think such FR target for AMT2510C will have much more THD than 4xFW146.

Attachments

• Good off-axis.jpg
    Good off-axis.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 398
A lot of named crossovers pass in this thread as if that would be the magical key. It's no coincidence people like Danley and Geddes often say the named crossover isn't their goal. The one that get's the job done is important.

Naming the crossovers like this might make some people think all they need is the right black box that has the active crossover of their choice as a feature. While in reality it's the drivers acoustical slope that's important to get the right seamless hand off from one driver to the next. Now I know you guys know that, but not all of our readers get that from just naming the crossover names.

More often than not you don't need to set it to a specific named crossover in that black box to hit your true acoustical target slope. Just putting drivers into a box and setting the digital crossover to one of these named slopes isn't getting you that specific target slope.

Just wanted to make that part clear. Known by many I'm sure, but lets not forget that we do have other readers that might over simplify what you guys are talking about.

I have no way of measuring my audio outputs, besides my ears.
I wanted a hybrid dipole speaker system, but wasn't able to get the voice correct with dipoles.
So I've got a dipole 20" tall electrostatic panel, above 2 6.5" Dynavox drivers, wired in series to use their own voice coil inductance to determine a first order crossover point.
These are biamped, and passively first order filtered, with just a cap on the midtweeter, additionally digitally highpassed at 90 hertz, crossed over to a open baffle double 18" driver sub.
Much as I like 1st order filters, they seem to change character at higher volumes.
So I dusted off my box of FMODS, and used these to filter an octave above the low pass crossover point, and an octave below the high pass crossover point.
These do seem quieter than my active crossovers, plus there's no added hum.
It allows me to use the first order slopes I prefer, and clean dynamic sound is on tap now at all volume levels I use.
Additionally, filtering the sub 50 hertz with FMODS from the sealed satellite boxes further improves the bass output from the sub, so even when highpassed at 90 hertz digitally, there was still some phase cancellation going on between sub and satellite.
I was able to lower the volume setting on the plate sub amp by about a quarter, while maintaining the same sound pressure levels.
So in my case, all active 4th order didn't do it, instead a blend of speaker and passive line level filters was the sweet spot.
I wonder though, if filtering the bass below 50 hertz resulted in better sound by reducing internal box resonances, or by being nearly dead centre of those drivers' impedance spike?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.