Sealed box speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Correlation is not causation - they may be both sealed boxes but that doesn't mean that's the reason they are both liked. Have you not heard any other infinite baffle designs and these are your only two? Or have you heard other sealed boxes and not liked them? The later would discount the theory somewhat.

That quickness to correlate a design with the cause for their liking the sound of that bit of hifi is, IMO, a major part of the bad side of the subjective hifi world.

I would be doing a frequncy repsonse investigation on both to see if they have a similar resonance somewhere from their chip-board, minimally braced cabinets, a resonance that you like the sound of.

If people are enjoying just discussing infinite baffle for the hell of it then of course it's a good opportunity to do so.

Last edited:
Sealed was used mostly because information on ported enclosures was limited back then. Besides, sealed does not have any advantages as it can be mimicked by a ported enclosure (usually 2-3 times smaller than what a simulation software would suggest) with low vent tuning but the second providing ignorable gain of a few db (usually 1.5-2db) and what matters more - cone control in the first two octaves. A properly designed vented enclosure has nothing to be ashamed of against a sealed one. For midranges used with a low crossover point, a vent can introduce greater control, thus reducing distortion but at the expense of an expensive capacitor bank on the way, so a trade off.

Correlation is not causation - they may be both sealed boxes but that doesn't mean that's the reason they are both liked. Have you not heard any other infinite baffle designs and these are your only two? Or have you heard other sealed boxes and not liked them? The later would discount the theory somewhat.

That quickness to correlate a design with the cause for their liking the sound of that bit of hifi is, IMO, a major part of the bad side of the subjective hifi world.

I would be doing a frequncy repsonse investigation on both to see if they have a similar resonance somewhere from their chip-board, minimally braced cabinets, a resonance that you like the sound of.

If people are enjoying just discussing infinite baffle for the hell of it then of course it's a good opportunity to do so.

I guess that my experience is that in commercially available hifi speakers, that are not at the high end, and where ported designs are often a plastic tube inserted in the front or back of the cabinet, I have had an experience not dissimilar to the "XTRA BASS" switch on an old 1980s Sony hifi. Boomy, big bass that is not very nice.

I have also found that over the years, hifi speakers have moved towards smaller bass drivers that are designed to give a faster, tighter bass, and I don't like it. Big paper cone, 12" or 15" have always had a quality of bass that I find unbeatable. It's an easy, relaxed, unforced sound from the past that I love.

So, I love my Celestion 44s. I wonder how a ported enclosure could improve them. I can't imagine?

Are there any other classic sealed box designs that I should know about?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.