Who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers

Lets say that you put a TV or equipment cabinet in between your two speakers, this is now a diffraction source and will mess up the image just as readily as sidewall reflections do. It may be lower in level that the sidewall reflections, but it occurs much sooner in time. Audibility of diffraction goes up with level (of course), but it also goes up as the delay become less.

In my setup, there is nothing anywhere near the speakers for several feet. The only diffraction objects are the speakers themselves which have wide rounded corners to minimize that effect.

OOPs, I have to correct myself this time!! The audibility goes up as the delay goes up so that diffraction off of the TV could be as important as diffraction off of a cabinet edge even though it is at a lower level.

This old guys memory is fading! :eek:

Lets say that you put a TV or equipment cabinet in between your two speakers, this is now a diffraction source and will mess up the image just as readily as sidewall reflections do. It may be lower in level that the sidewall reflections, but it occurs much sooner in time. Audibility of diffraction goes up with level (of course), but it also goes up as the delay become less.

In my setup, there is nothing anywhere near the speakers for several feet. The only diffraction objects are the speakers themselves which have wide rounded corners to minimize that effect.

Why would that be an issue for a horn with a big pro woofer. Wouldn't the frequencies that can cause diffraction be going forward? I think diffraction starts when the sound hits something 1/4 wavelength or larger, but I'm not sure on this.

FWIW I hear a very clear difference in my speakers with the fleece material on the baffle and with it off. I don't know that I would zero in on it though without knowing what it is and why its there.

Last edited:
You can have the best speakers or the best looking drivers on paper. However reality will be different. You can hear how well one driver can handle specific frequencies with test filters.

Then blending the sound at the xo points is critical even more than the distortion.

Also looking at the less distortion is not all. exemple : arrays, some 20$ drivers can be used but wont sound good as a theoriticaly worst one 350$ driver. This is opposite of the math works.

This is like chasing low distortion amplifiers, if it were true everyone would use 1000Watts class D amps.

I posted on the thread and mentioned the same thing. It's kind of obvious that frequency response is king but eq'ing drivers in a box doesn't make a it "strativarius".

purchasing the 'best' drivers takes a few days of research

building the box takes a few weeks

getting the cross over right takes many years if it can ever be achieved...