Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2017, 01:03 PM   #161
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
So you have not heard of Plasma Ion tweeters?
Untitled
They prodcuce ozone, it is a lethal gas.
Old 12th October 2017, 07:48 PM   #162
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes, but they exist.
And you can get a kit for 110$ from here:
Plasma Ion kits

Not so certain it will be healthy to breathe magnetic nano particles either.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 12th October 2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 09:05 PM   #163
silverprout is offline silverprout  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffiMann View Post
Yes, but they exist.
And you can get a kit for 110$ from here:
Plasma Ion kits

Not so certain it will be healthy to breathe magnetic nano particles either.
It was a kind of joke.
i expect there is a safety notice with the kit , the produced gas is terribly toxic.

"Ozone is extremely harmful to the lungs, kidneys, brain and eyes. For example, a concentration of 9 ppm of ozone in the air will lead to pulmonary edema. Between this value and the average threshold of olfactory perception (0.1 ppm on average), there is dry mouth, cough, bronchial hypersecretion, dyspnea, retrosternal pain and abnormal respiratory system.

A simple concentration of 0.2-0.5 ppm of ozone in the air can already cause vision problems such as decreased night vision and poor light adaptability, increased peripheral vision, and modification of eye movement. In addition, there are kidney (acute nephritis) and neurological disorders (dizziness, asthenia, altered taste, speech disorder, poor coordination of movement, etc.).

European directives set a quality target at the daily maximum of the 8-hour average at 120 μg / m3 (60 ppb or 0.06 ppm) and the alert threshold at 240 μg / m3. This quality objective corresponds to levels 5 (French index) or 50 (European index) of information disseminated by organizations such as Airparif21, Airpaca22, Atmo23, etc."
Old 13th October 2017, 04:27 AM   #164
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
Km curves, BL curves, and cone mass would be integrally designed. We just need to know how to use the best range of a driver and preventing it from being inadequately driven.
In principle it just means using lots of drivers, each in a discrete frequency band to minimze distortion. But although the drivers are now in low distortion regimes, the listener has to deal with the impact of multi way crossovers on the sound quality.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:56 AM   #165
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
In principle it just means using lots of drivers, each in a discrete frequency band to minimze distortion. But although the drivers are now in low distortion regimes, the listener has to deal with the impact of multi way crossovers on the sound quality.
True, that is why I am hoping to get a stiff full range driver of about 6.5 with Xmax around 20mm p-p. This gives more flexible implementation depending on the maximum SPL design goal.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:59 AM   #166
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

I've been fantasizing about removing the cone and dustcap from some Beta15A I have, and make a new and longer lightweight former for the voicecoil, place a mylar membrane over the chassis and attach it together with sandwiched carbon fiber and glass fiber rings distanced on the mylar membrane. If the problem is that the cone is "wobbly" during excursion then why not embrace it? Let high freq be emitted solely by a dome in the centre, attached directly to the VC and let the membrane dampen high freq out to the next sandwich ring.

But I do not have the time, maybe in 33 years when I retire.
Old 17th October 2017, 05:32 AM   #167
33Polkhigh is offline 33Polkhigh  United States
diyAudio Member

There are different schools of thought on the subject of distortion. Zaph is one of the main proponents of the traditional view that minimizing linear and nonlinear distortion are most important.

Then there is the other school of thought of which seems to emanate from Canada and the ideas of researchers like S. Olive which is that distortion is way overblown and dispersion is whats important, and constant directivity is the goal.

Its interesting that Zaph wasn't impressed with Markaudio drivers, which didn't do terribly well with linear and non-linear distortion, and are clearly designed with dispersion in mind.

I haven't been doing this long enough to really have an opinion. The room matters a lot. Non-linear distortion seems easier to adjust to than dispersion issues. Linear distortion is really annoying. Part of this is that whatever you've been taught to pay attention to will affect your subjective listening experience. Sometimes though it seems like you brain easily compensates for room reflections.

Another possibility is that the less reflected sound you hear the more that non-linear and linear distortion matter, like headphones.
Old 17th October 2017, 05:22 PM   #168
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

There are different schools of thought, but not all opinions are equally valid. One cannot compare Zaph's opinion to that of the Toole/Olive group since the later have done far more extensive research into this area.
Old 17th October 2017, 07:00 PM   #169
Zarathu is offline Zarathu  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe those who think distortion is overblown haven't experienced the extremely low distortion at the mid range and tweeter levels provided by a line array with 20 mids and 10-20 tweeters per channel. Humans recognize loudness by the degree of perceived distortion(even if they don't know its distorting). In my line arrays, I often cannot tell how loud they are playing because distortion is so low(17 mid ranges, 32 dome tweeters per channel).
Old 17th October 2017, 07:12 PM   #170
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Where did you get that idea?

Who makes the lowest distortion speaker driversHide this!Advertise here!