Looking to build a TMM speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From the datasheet, the Faital 6FE100 with Fs=61Hz and Qts=0.54 would produce the best midrange sound in a tight-transients sealed cabinet volume close to 0.7cuft(Qtc=0.72) with F3 ~90Hz. Nasty cone breakup starts around 3.2kHz, so a LR2 or LR4 Xover ~2Khz is required for >20db attenuation.

A second 6FE100 in a 1.5cuft ported box tuned to 40Hz would provide decent bass-shelf output, which could blend well with typical room gain. Naturally, some of the 6FE100 midrange efficiency would need attenuation to match the limited bass and baffle step effects of this small ported 6FE100 woofer.

Many designers would favor a floor standing 3-way with a larger diameter real woofer(s) below the sealed 6Fe100.

The SB29RDNC-C000-4 $60 dome tweeter has the efficiency at 2kHz to keep up with the 6FE100.

The smaller SB26STCN-C000-4 would probably drop 1db of sensitivity, but offers a smoother 20kHz+
=================
Sketch your desired cabinet shape + size. 1-box? 2-boxes? ...typical room?

Good Sound = T + M(6FE100 sealed) + big woofer(ported)
Icky Sound = M -T- M or TMM (both M ported) (Icky=poor transients, lobing, limited bass....)

Attachments

• 6FE100.JPG
    6FE100.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 959
Nareshseep, what are your goals WRT F3? Are you looking for high efficiency crossed to a separate sub or something more full range? Room size? Listening distance? Amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presently I have no sub hooked up presently, but I have an elemental designs 13ov woofer which I plan to use for bass. The system will be used mainly for my computer which doubles as my home entertainment center. I am looking for an F3 around 60-80 if possible.

Last edited:
From the datasheet, the Faital 6FE100 with Fs=61Hz and Qts=0.54 would produce the best midrange sound in a tight-transients sealed cabinet volume close to 0.7cuft(Qtc=0.72) with F3 ~90Hz. Nasty cone breakup starts around 3.2kHz, so a LR2 or LR4 Xover ~2Khz is required for >20db attenuation.

A second 6FE100 in a 1.5cuft ported box tuned to 40Hz would provide decent bass-shelf output, which could blend well with typical room gain. Naturally, some of the 6FE100 midrange efficiency would need attenuation to match the limited bass and baffle step effects of this small ported 6FE100 woofer.

Many designers would favor a floor standing 3-way with a larger diameter real woofer(s) below the sealed 6Fe100.

The SB29RDNC-C000-4 $60 dome tweeter has the efficiency at 2kHz to keep up with the 6FE100.

The smaller SB26STCN-C000-4 would probably drop 1db of sensitivity, but offers a smoother 20kHz+
=================
Sketch your desired cabinet shape + size. 1-box? 2-boxes? ...typical room?

Good Sound = T + M(6FE100 sealed) + big woofer(ported)
Icky Sound = M -T- M or TMM (both M ported) (Icky=poor transients, lobing, limited bass....)

Desired shape: a pair of 2way T-M Monitors to the side of my computer screen. I will go with the sealed arrangement.
Subwoofer: a ported elemental designs 13ov woofer tuned low, which will be placed under desk.
Room size: 17' x 17'

Last edited:
Merry Christmas!

Voice Coil magazine tested the Faital 6FE100 and you can use their quality measurements, including SPL on a 8" x 17" baffle to execute a good quality simulation design before you build your box, complete your measurements, and tune the final crossover values.

The basic software-design flow is well discussed if you download:
Simple Loudspeaker Design, Dave Dal Farra, January 2011

--you might experiment by splicing my sim of the 0.7cuft sealed box bass onto the Voice Coil SPL plot at 200Hz, and using a tool like SPL Copy to generate a FRD and ZMA you can run through 'Frequency Resoponse Modeler' which includes box Diffraction Sims.

http://www.adamhall.com/media/downloads4ah/art_FP6FE100A__Faital_Test_Bench_VoiceCoil_12_2008.pdf

========================

Happy New Year!

The diySoundGroup has a kit using the 6FE100 with a waveguide tweeter which you can study and read reviews. A waveguide tweeter requires a listening distance of >5' (as set by the vertical coverage angle of the waveguide) to correctly blend with the midbass. Some rooms have the speakers several feet away from the computer desk.

Fusion-6 DIY Sound Group

nareshseep,

The 3kHz+ cone breakup on the 6FE100 is severe, and Xover simulations prove that an LR4 ~2Khz is required for adequate attenuation.

Also, if you plan to use all-passive crossovers even on the 90Hz mid-woofer, the 6FE100 impedance resonance at 55Hz will "bump up" the bass if an LRC notch(55Hz) is not used. You can listen before you buy/add this filter.

If you plan to bi-amp with an active mid-woof LR4 at 90Hz, then this 6FE100 impedance resonance will be squashed by the low impedance of the amp.

For close up listening, the SB26STCN-C000-4 will maintain a wide polar response beyond 10Khz, which holds the sound stage by reducing high frequency beaming. Give this tweeter some consideration.

An Xsim with LR4/LR4 Xover @2kHz based upon an 8" wide baffle with minor tweeter off-set looks decent.

nareshseep,

The 3kHz+ cone breakup on the 6FE100 is severe, and Xover simulations prove that an LR4 ~2Khz is required for adequate attenuation.

Also, if you plan to use all-passive crossovers even on the 90Hz mid-woofer, the 6FE100 impedance resonance at 55Hz will "bump up" the bass if an LRC notch(55Hz) is not used. You can listen before you buy/add this filter.

If you plan to bi-amp with an active mid-woof LR4 at 90Hz, then this 6FE100 impedance resonance will be squashed by the low impedance of the amp.

For close up listening, the SB26STCN-C000-4 will maintain a wide polar response beyond 10Khz, which holds the sound stage by reducing high frequency beaming. Give this tweeter some consideration.

An Xsim with LR4/LR4 Xover @2kHz based upon an 8" wide baffle with minor tweeter off-set looks decent.

Thanks for the heads up, I am looking to get the SB26STCN-C000-4 since it has a nice lower frequency response under 2-3k that will blend with the upper limit of the 6FE100 mid-bass.

It will be easier for me to make passive crossovers although eventually I would like to mind use either a car audio crossover (MCD360) or an minidsp to send mid and tweeter output to a 5.1 HT receiver that will power the speakers

PC->MCD360->HT Receiver-> speakers

Shallow surround 6FE100

If you get a woofer with a plate-amp + active crossover, this type passive TM crossover could help kick-off your Xsim test+measure toward a final design. The 6FE100 in a 0.7+ cuft sealed box should blend in around 80-90Hz LR4 to a woofer.

I am looking to build a shallow surround speaker of max 12litters 0.35-0.42cu and looking for a suitable 6.5'' or 8'' to fit a very small box (sealed or vented) high max spl of 108 at 110hz is desired I can cross them to the sub at this freq or slightly above \below.
They will be used as ceiling speakers for HT atmos sound and maybe also side surrounds. listening position is very close less than 8ft from 6 speakers all working together so maybe 108spl at 1m will be too loud anyway ..
Will the 6FE100 + SB26 work well , how to I build a suitable crossover for this driver. I think that QSC 8101 speaker is using the sb26 with an 8'' and have a dedicated crossover which can be purchased and amended to match the 6FE100 or another woofer which will be suitable for the project. I am absolute beginner with crossover design ..
appreciate your help !

With a newborn baby girl and work have not had any time to work on my project. Saw some projects in quarter wave tapered transmission lines and was wondering if it would be a good idea to make one for the faital pro 6FE100 with has an fs of around 60 hz. This would result in small enclosures and additional mid bass / output since the tl gives output to one octave below when designed properly.

Please see attached picture of modelling using the leonard t line program

Attachments

• 6fe100.png
    6fe100.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 6fe100 enc.png
    6fe100 enc.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 6fe100 group delay.png
    6fe100 group delay.png
    31 KB · Views: 417
  • 6fe100 spl with 0.35cuft stuffing.png
    6fe100 spl with 0.35cuft stuffing.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 6fe100 spl with 0.35cuft stuffing group delay.png
    6fe100 spl with 0.35cuft stuffing group delay.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
attachment.php

I am trying to understand this crossover , I know the bottom mid speaker is the .5 part of the tmm crossover. The middle mid speaker is low passed with a 2nd order crossover together with padding resistors ? . The tweeter has a zobel network and a notch filter. Modelling this cross in xsim gave the following response, there is a dip between 1k and 3k.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tmm crossover.png
    tmm crossover.png
    93 KB · Views: 853
  • tmm crossover sim.png
    tmm crossover sim.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.