Looking to build a TMM speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you tried a 2 kHz XO point with 6FE100 and SB26STAC? It seems doable.

That was my plan, the sims was showing cone breakup at around 3.5 k, I will still proceed with this plan. Demo it before going further. I see some folks has advised against crossing at a high frequency, saying that off axis response may be bad. I am thinking it will be ok because it is outside the critical midrange frequencies 400hz to 5000kHz

If I do decide to go to a three way, my choices for mid range ( 400 - 4000 hz) will be the following paired with the SB Acoustics SB19 which has very good off axis response at high freq. Ive found that 2.5" speakers give the best response for the critical midrange frequencies.

Vifa TC9
SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4

A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

Everything so far has pointed my project into the direction to create a system with great off-axis response. Found out that the frequencies beam for different size drivers which is something to consider when building systems.

12" ~ 1,150Hz
10" ~ 1,380Hz
8" ~ 1,720Hz
7"~ 1,970Hz
6.5" ~ 2,120Hz
5.25" ~ 2,620Hz
4" ~ 3,440Hz
3" ~ 4,950Hz
2.5" ~ 5,915Hz
2" ~ 6,880Hz
1" ~ 13,750Hz
0.75" ~18hz

I have learnt alot from this design phase, and I will like to thank all who contributed with information and suggestions. I will do a comprehensive build thread soon.

Can anyone recommend a suitable waveguide for the SB26STAC? Looking for a 6-8" round waveguide that is about 1-1.5 inches deep. I read somewhere that this produces best response for dome tweeters.

I think I should have gone with the RS28 which was used in a lot of projects with waveguides. This is a learning experience

Also with regards to building a crossover, is it better to apply zobel filters and then utilize these values when calculating the crossover components?

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'd try a SEOS 8. It's not round, but it should work very well with SB26, you will probably need new screw holes. The 1000hz lower xover limit gets you an octave or more away from trouble. I am going to try them in a pair of AR4xs I am redoing, as I want to keep the low teens xover point that AR used(the original tweeters were destroyed by moisture).

I'd try a SEOS 8. It's not round, but it should work very well with SB26, you will probably need new screw holes. The 1000hz lower xover limit gets you an octave or more away from trouble. I am going to try them in a pair of AR4xs I am redoing, as I want to keep the low teens xover point that AR used(the original tweeters were destroyed by moisture).

I will consider the seos8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.