Scanspeak 26w/8543G00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to purchase the named driver, but I can not decide weather to get the 4-ohm or 8-ohm version. It has High Qms, low fs and good sensitivity and £65/ea, and seemed to be well recieved by Troels:
DISC-4

I am going to use my existing MiniDSP PWR-ICE125 in a 2-way with the Omnes Audio BB3.AL (on their way, after having a pair before) as a wide range driver down to around 300Hz.

This will then be crossed over to a largish driver in a sealed box, the 26w/8534G00 looks ideal for a smallish sealed box, around 30-Litres. It may end up a bit bigger between 30L an 60L (Q=0.707).

I am leaning towards the 26w/8534G00 as if I ever wanted in the future to get more output I could get another to run in parallel.
I plan to high pass the sub bass below 25Hz anyway as not to annoy the neighbours.

Power handling is not a massive issue, my room in not that big and max levels are around 75dB-80dB going by my UMIK-1/REW.

Is there any reason to go for the 4-ohm over the 8-ohm version?

I am looking to purchase the named driver, but I can not decide weather to get the 4-ohm or 8-ohm version. It has High Qms, low fs and good sensitivity and £65/ea, and seemed to be well recieved by Troels:
DISC-4

I am going to use my existing MiniDSP PWR-ICE125 in a 2-way with the Omnes Audio BB3.AL (on their way, after having a pair before) as a wide range driver down to around 300Hz.

This will then be crossed over to a largish driver in a sealed box, the 26w/8534G00 looks ideal for a smallish sealed box, around 30-Litres. It may end up a bit bigger between 30L an 60L (Q=0.707).

I am leaning towards the 26w/8534G00 as if I ever wanted in the future to get more output I could get another to run in parallel.
I plan to high pass the sub bass below 25Hz anyway as not to annoy the neighbours.

Power handling is not a massive issue, my room in not that big and max levels are around 75dB-80dB going by my UMIK-1/REW.

There's a pair on ebay UK at the moment, I think the 4 ohm version is discontinued.

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
DISC-4

4 Ohm takes more current from amp, so it will be louder at a given drive voltage. If SPL is an issue, the 4 Ohm version may be better. Using two of those in parallel may be too much for most amps, though.

It's the 8861 version of the 26W just search for scanspeak

Ah ha, its a bit over budget, even used I'm afraid.

4 Ohm takes more current from amp, so it will be louder at a given drive voltage. If SPL is an issue, the 4 Ohm version may be better. Using two of those in parallel may be too much for most amps, though.

Thanks, that's sort of what I was thinking, for flexibility in the future, two of the 8-Ohm drivers would be a better bet.

The 26W/x534G00 is an alu cone woofer of the Discovery series, the x is either 4 or 8 depending on the nominal impedance. Both are on the official Scan Speak page, and available on some internet sites. Just checked.
The 26W/8661T00 is a paper cone woofer of the Revelator series, so a very different driver than the above Discovery ones.

Ralf

I played with the 4 ohm version which at the end, ended up in a car. It is a nice driver but in 30l you won`t get much low frequency output unless a Linkwitz transform is introduced. What was interesting was that the cone resonance was not that obstructive. Cone appeared deep anodized, dust cap is fiberglass and looks awful on the neat cone. Very high price/performance ratio and build quality was top notch.

For the same price you can also get the SB29NRXC75-6 which has a paper cone, can go much deeper than the Scan and costs similar ( from Falcon acoustics in the UK ) but has much higher inductance. So, your choice :)

I played with the 4 ohm version which at the end, ended up in a car. It is a nice driver but in 30l you won`t get much low frequency output unless a Linkwitz transform is introduced. What was interesting was that the cone resonance was not that obstructive. Cone appeared deep anodized, dust cap is fiberglass and looks awful on the neat cone. Very high price/performance ratio and build quality was top notch.

For the same price you can also get the SB29NRXC75-6 which has a paper cone, can go much deeper than the Scan and costs similar ( from Falcon acoustics in the UK ) but has much higher inductance. So, your choice :)

Thanks, the Scanspeak 26w/8534G00 is ~£65/ea, the SB29NRX75-6 is about twice the price.

The Scanspeak sims to 50Hz -3dB which is fine for my application and ouptut needs.

That`s a difference, the pound sterling lost enough to have them tweak the prices.

When considering prices, I believe you`d have to add the cost for the notch the Scan needs, its breakup is not as severe as some other metal coned drivers, but if used above 100Hz 12db/oct it will need one and the cost of extra components may equalize the price. The SB Acoustics would blow it out in the bass region but is still a driver that has to be kept away of large excursion. Paper cone may fit better to the Veravox on your profile pic :)

That`s a difference, the pound sterling lost enough to have them tweak the prices.

When considering prices, I believe you`d have to add the cost for the notch the Scan needs, its breakup is not as severe as some other metal coned drivers, but if used above 100Hz 12db/oct it will need one and the cost of extra components may equalize the price. The SB Acoustics would blow it out in the bass region but is still a driver that has to be kept away of large excursion. Paper cone may fit better to the Veravox on your profile pic :)

I will be using a MiniDSP PWR-ICE125 so I will likely use 48dB LR slopes, based on my experience using them on my current speakers.

I will be using the Veravox 3/Omnes Audio BB3.AL which is a small 2" Aluminum cone driver.

I think I will go for the 8Ohm version of the Scanspeak.

Yes, this one can work flawlessly in 55l or so and the cone resonance does not sound as bad as on some other metallic drivers. Problem is it has sharply rising 3rd order distortion starting at around 180-200Hz so good as a limited coverage woofer only.

I never got it why SB wanted to use such large flanges for their drivers, you don`t get increased Sd from them but speaker becomes enormous...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.