Can RAAL 70-10D really handle 150W power?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They can play loud, but not very loud as in horn speakers loud (my current speakers)

I have never heard the 70-10 distorted when it was in my system. My room is big and bleed out to 2nd floor.

Typical listening was around 80dB at 3m and 90dB when i invitrd friends over.

Basically they can play loud without stress, but not loud as party speakers.

infact would like to use it for home theater speakers so my listening distance is about 20feet so using a dome is screeching out hence thought to use raal.

what is the dome tweeter and what kind of crossover?

the 70-10 lowest xo point is 2800hz, better if you can go higher.

my xo was 2.8khz with Satori 6", however i didnt use them for HT.

I was using Fostex PM8.4.1 3way studio monitors as my mains and few subs for HT duties before, even though they are active speakers but my 8" peerless HDS with Satori tweeter in 8" waveguide was significantly cleaner when play loud with Rotel HT amp.

If its HT, i would recommend to use compression driver in popular waveguide or horn with 8-12" mid bass, you will get more realistic sound repro than the ribbon.

One thing I wanted to point out, it was never clear if you meant, the tweeters really would need to handle 150 watts, or you expected the tweeters to be part of a system whose total power would be 150 watts.

If the latter, then the tweeters probably won't ever see more than 30-45. :)

Best,

Erik

Technically, they can handle 150 Watts, but I think there are a couple questions to consider...
Would you ever play them that loud?
Wouldn't that destroy your hearing?
Forget that, would they even sound good at that level?
Let me put it like this: If you're listening to those tweeters at those levels, you have other problems...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.