Bohlender Graebener is back?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
Well they learned from the Linux buisiness world, lol :D !

More seriously :

Is there any concistency now about the quality and product line as the management board changed (same factories and suppliers?) ?

Does anyone still bougfht the "new" PE drivers and made a benchmark measurement with the oldest one ?

There is also a Rumor about the fact PE is selling old "OEM" parts ?

Mark K? Zaph ? where are you ?:eek: : Any one with good measurements on the new parts ?

There are at least minimum two good designs, and certainly more if diging at Diyaudio in the "OB picture Book section" : Our Juhazi member with his OB (Neo 6 & 3 in the upper ranges), and our Pro audio member from Florida who made a nice monitor with one or two (iirc) BG NEO 10 with a Scan Speak below and a OEM RAAL for the tweeter ! :)

Last edited:
Parts Express is NOT selling off old inventory and has made an arrangement for these drivers to be manufactured for them and to be able to continue to provide them to our community.
Paul

err, BG was bought out when the founder died - Christie wasn't looking for diy business, closed American BG manufacturing

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/269141-partsexpress-discontinues-bg-rd40-75-a.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/286812-bg-neo-rd-no-more-diy.html

but maybe they see the desirability of volume for the Philippines made Neo series - if they're not just selling off old inventory

Well they learned from the Linux buisiness world, lol :D !

More seriously :

Is there any concistency now about the quality and product line as the management board changed (same factories and suppliers?) ?

Does anyone still bougfht the "new" PE drivers and made a benchmark measurement with the oldest one ?

There is also a Rumor about the fact PE is selling old "OEM" parts ?

Mark K? Zaph ? where are you ?:eek: : Any one with good measurements on the new parts ?

There are at least minimum two good designs, and certainly more if diging at Diyaudio in the "OB picture Book section" : Our Juhazi member with his OB (Neo 6 & 3 in the upper ranges), and our Pro audio member from Florida who made a nice monitor with one or two (iirc) BG NEO 10 with a Scan Speak below and a OEM RAAL for the tweeter ! :)

Did you miss this thread? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/142015-my-open-baffle-dipole-beyma-tpl-150-a-118.html#post2922246

268484d1330191122-my-open-baffle-dipole-beyma-tpl-150-dsc_2051.jpg

Though the RD-75 probably isn't back up for us DIY-ers. :eek:

Nah I didn't miss it ! (but still asking if any advantage for the 200 Hz and upper in relation to a Maggie, an ESL à a M-L.... ?!)

Well I believe they just sold again the Neo 10,8 (maybe the 8s) and the 3 !

Yes there was already this problem of quality PE didn't solved for this poor RD75 buyer !!!! PE = poor reseller ? (=not serious ?)!

So again that's why I ask for people who know but the phrases if there is a concistency with quality and the "new" drivers PE sells, knowing they are made by a supplier and not the original factory (USA?)

good to hear - but what's your info source?

Parts Express is NOT selling off old inventory and has made an arrangement for these drivers to be manufactured for them and to be able to continue to provide them to our community.
Paul

Christie presumably now owns the rights to active BG patents, name - they have to be on board to allow BG Neo from the Philippines into the country, will want their cut

Are you so sure the quality is the same if the manufacter changed ? Sorry to ask, it's important with such units !

No one is sure of anything. The rumor mill will post hear-say and conjecture when there is nothing to support a suspicious attitude. All anyone knows is Parts Express is selling them and they are a top shelf parts retailer that backs all of their sales.

The radiating area is rectangular instead of round in a dome. This makes more directivity in upper frequencies in vertical axis. Horizontal dispersion is similar to typical 1,5" dome.
PDR versions have a shading cloth in the horizontal edges of the openings to widen dispersion.
Factory datasheets give good explanation of this http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...r-graebener-specifications-44393.pdfBohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR ($55 w/flange)
and the Zaph says like this "- This B&G tweeter outperformed everything here, in most cases by a large margin. Response curve is ok, but nonlinear distortion is excellent. This is a very clean and natural sounding tweeter. Note: these were tested with the rear chamber in place. Later, with a different pair, I also tested with the chamber removed. The tweeter was far too overdamped in that case, and I recommend leaving the rear chamber installed." here Zaph|Audio

As dipole without any substantial frame the Neo3 goes pure dipole dispersion characteristics up to around 6kHz, then has wiggles around 8kHz, then smooth axial with dimension-determined off-axis.

This applies to Neo8 and Neo10 as well, but because of larger dimensions, they stop acting as pure dipole earlier (dipole null) and have much more vertical directivity above that. That's why they are not wise very high up.

My little trick is to set Neo3PDR 90¤ turned to get better directivity match! The measured frequency response is dying above 15kHz because of my ICEpower amplifier's lowpass!

Attachments

• ainogneo83 0 30 60¤ 6ms 112.png
    ainogneo83 0 30 60¤ 6ms 112.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.