US import duties on EU speaker kits??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Contemplating a new build this fall and possibly considering some mid to upper end EU sourced (e.g. Troels-G and others) kits. Reading government commerce sites it appears item values above $800 are subject to duty but from there things get hazy. The import duty cost will certainly be part of the decision matrix for what to build.

Can anyone share what percentage duty fee was levied on their purchase of a higher value speaker kit imported to US from EU?

Thanks

For international shipping, call 1-800-782-7892
Talk to this young lady, Ginny's a GEM!!!
She will set you straight on the tariff codes.
Ginnylumpkin@ups.com
502-485=2517
In Missouri under $2000.00 I pay approximately just under 5%
Considering most US vendors really stick it to yo you, it's a steal.
Trick is don't order a $50.00 driver and expect to get a deal.
Cheers, don't be shy leap of faith, The pound is in the toilet right now and the Euro is close behind.......glub!!glub!!glub!!!

Oh yeah I almost forgot
VAT does not apply So when it says $200.00
your cost $164.00
plus shipping ??? $50.00 to $150.00
plus Duty and tax ten bucks
You get the picture
Do the math
Where most people get lost is the tariff codes.
Do not let your vendor slap anything he wants
That is your responsibility

Be aware of so called brokerage fees which courier companies like UPS and Fedex might charge, and which can cost you a lot extra.
To prevent these you better have the shipment by USPS.
Everybody pays broerage fees mon frer , if the tariff code warrants it
I think that's where you're gewtting confused
at least if it's here in the USA. There is only one way in and it's called Customs
No matter how it comes in
on a wing and a prayer.
It doesn't matter.
Talk to Ginny

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Surely the rate is differs from state to state if they have different tax rates. The UK Customs charge 20% on items of any value.

Customs duties are levied by the Federal Government.. Sales tax is a separate matter and depends on the state you reside in. Since it was purchased out of state a use tax may apply instead.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Be aware of so called brokerage fees which courier companies like UPS and Fedex might charge, and which can cost you a lot extra.
To prevent these you better have the shipment by USPS.

This is true, although brokerage fees in the U.S. range from very reasonable to absurd.. In many cases stuff shipped via USPS will not be subject to any duty at all. Not sure where the threshold is for duty but I have paid duty on transformers shipped from the EU that came in at slightly less than $800. As I recall the duty was around 7% and the bill did not come until quite a while after I got the goods - DHL paid the import duty and billed me, the brokerage fee was very small. I have never had to pay duty on anything that came in from China or Japan.

Customs duties are levied by the Federal Government.. Sales tax is a separate matter and depends on the state you reside in. Since it was purchased out of state a use tax may apply instead.
Nope!!!
It has to do with the tariff code
Depending on the evalution it might be tariff free
But it is never tax free.
If the item has a tariff fee you will always pay tax no matter what
It isn't an either or thing.
The code the code I tells ya
It dictates everything

In Missouri under $2000.00 I pay approximately just under 5%

OK, I did see a 4.9% unified tariff code on the US commerce website for raw drivers but was not sure if X-over components get taxed differently. Have traded a few notes with Jantzen and the assorted transaction fees add up, so want to make sure I don't get blindsided at delivery after stretching my budget already.

Strong Dollar helps right now - anybody else with first hand experience importing speaker components in excess of 1K USD?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You paid, believe me you paid.
It was front loaded in the retail package.
Don't be so naive.

Don't be such a smart ***, since the vendor in China didn't collect it for the U.S. government (an entity to which they owe no responsibility) and neither did the USPS or any other entity based on invoices received I didn't pay any. All sorts of small packages get shipped from all over the place and Uncle Sam doesn't take a cut, when they do they make it pretty damned clear that they have or will.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You just come across as a smart***.. lol I had no way one way or the other of knowing about your challenges. We all have them, I survived cancer, barely, and not so long ago..

Felony, my foot.. Anyway it might help if you explained how you know all of this stuff, because frankly I only have my very limited experience to go on, and I certainly don't know the entire or very much of the score. I will observe we are comparatively fortunate compared to people living in the EU and Latin America with regards to the cost of this hobby, including of course tax and tariffs.

To a degree moovnutz is correct - it very much depends on what tariff code the vendor/shipper includes on their commercial invoice. I know a guy who regularly imports loudspeaker drivers from the US to Canada, with inbound freight included in the vendor's invoice for the goods, and when paperwork is correctly completed with the appropriate tariff code, there is no applicable duty on delivery but the carrier (Fedex by choice here) will submit a separate invoice for the value of Federal sales tax (GST, currently @ 5%), which for registered businesses will have an offsetting ITC ( input tax credit).

As some, but certainly not all international vendors/shippers are bag-men - oops, that should read collection agents for local provincial / state taxes, there is also the technical requirement of self-reporting/remittance of the local jurisdiction's tax(es) for goods purchased for personal use, or not resold as is but incorporated into goods sold within that same jurisdiction. Of course in that case the sales tax would normally be assessed on "value added" selling price, and in our particular case, the merchant also collects a token vendor's commission.

Guess what, that's something that is conveniently overlooked /excused as " gee, I didn't know that". Having worked for over 23 yrs for a Canadian manufacturing / exporting company that has had forensic audits by every level of government agency ( if you think you are the smartest person in the room, wait til you sit down with a Tax auditor), I would suggest if you're a business, pay the ******* tax up front, and collect whatever ITC is applicable. Think of it as a cost of business and insurance against not paying the assessed taxes, fines and interest - which can be considerable, and may be collected directly from your bank, along with the publication of the event in local trade " yellow pages" - on the who's suing whom pages

I've had prostate biopsies for BPH and prostitis attacks that were far less arduous than GST/PST/WCB and CRA ( Canada Revenue Agency) audits.

Oops, did I digress?

OTOH, I've recently made personal purchases from Parts Express that were delivered by USPS / Canada Post with not additional charges yet, and as a private individual, I would feign ignorance on the requirement / method to remit any such amounts owing. The total amount of the two so far this month are well under $200 CDN

You just come across as a smart***.. lol I had no way one way or the other of knowing about your challenges. We all have them, I survived cancer, barely, and not so long ago..

Felony, my foot.. Anyway it might help if you explained how you know all of this stuff, because frankly I only have my very limited experience to go on, and I certainly don't know the entire or very much of the score. I will observe we are comparatively fortunate compared to people living in the EU and Latin America with regards to the cost of this hobby, including of course tax and tariffs.
Glad to see you still have a sense of humor after all you've been through.
Pay attention to Chrisb's last post, he only scrapes the surface.
My response to your request is I too was in the same position as the OP.
All of this lead me down a never ending lesson filled with diversions layered upon
misconstrued presumptions that are intertwined with truth. I meant no harm and only tried to steer you in the right direction.
I hope you find the road you seek
Fare thee well brother, fare thee well!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.